Swelling After Lower Blepharoplasty

I recently had a bilateral lower blepharoplasty done 4 1/2 weeks ago. Swelling had resolved after a week or so, but over the past few days both, lids are getting puffy again. How long does swelling take to completely reslove? Do I need to go back to my surgeon as early as possible?

Swelling will come and go

+4

It is not uncommon to have swelling post lower blepharplasty which seems to come and go. It can take up to as much as a year to see the final result. The amount of swelling usually gets less and less as more time goes by. If you have any concerns or questions, it usually does not harm to contact your surgeon who performed the surgery. I usually see my post blep patient every few months to answer such questions.

Hope this helps.

Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Yes, it is imperative that you return back to your surgeon for a follow up reevaluation!!

+3

Yes, it is imperative that you return back to your surgeon for a follow up reevaluation. At 4 ½ weeks, all residual swelling should have disappeared following a lower lid blepharoplasty. To be experiencing “puffy eyes” this far out from your surgery is unusual. There is something else going on!

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Two months for best blepharoplasty results

+3

It can take up to two months to see great results. The swelling you describe, can be the result of eating spicy foods or sleeping in the wrong position. But, for peace of mind - always check with your own physician to be sure that nothing is going wrong.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Be patient with post op swelling

+2

The swelling that you have experienced following your blepharoplasty is normal.  I advise my patients that after surgery they will most likely experience some noticeable swelling that will subside within two to six weeks.  Patients should know some minor swelling can remain for as long as six months, and their lid contours may continue to change.  Final results may not be seen until the six month mark. There are several exercises that you can do to assist with healing as well. You may also want to massage the lids.  I suggest discussing your concerns with your surgeon.  Best of luck, Dr. Clevens

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after eyelid surgery (or any operation) may take a number of weeks to totally resolve.

+2

Swelling is a normal component of the healing process.  Gross and obvious swelling usually dissapates in a week or so.  More subtle swelling, that can wax and wane, might take a good deal longer, even months.

Keep head elevated, avoid salt and vigorous activity to avoid swelling after blepharoplasty

+2
Obviously you should consult your doctor. It is unusual for swelling after blepharoplasty to recur after 4 weeks and after it has gone down.

When this happens it is usually due to strenuous activity such as working out, heavy dietary salt intake combined with lying with your head flat when sleeping. Even at 4 weeks it is helpful to sleep with your head elevated. High salt intake can also cause the eyes to be puffy.

This all sounds temporary, but consult your doctor.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

I would see your doctor

+2

This doesn't sound worrisome, but your doctor can help this resolve sooner. I would recommend that you keep your head elevated when you sleep, and avoid raising your blood pressure or pulse. Allergy season may be starting where you are, so this may be kicking in.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Eyelid swelling after Blepharoplasty is common

+2

Eyelid swelling after Blepharoplasty is common and can have a variety of causes.

There is no immediate need to return to your physcian unless it is associated with infection, redness, drainage, fever, pain or visual disturbances.

Anticipate time for the healing process to subside which is usually a minimum of 3-4 months after surgery.

Wait, lymphatic massage and sleep upright

+2

Swelling and bruising after lower lid cosmetic surgery varies between different patients and depends also on the degree of dissection and whether a cheek release was performed.

More time is needed for all the swelling and bruising to disappear. Most patients lose most of the swelling by 4 weeks, but over the years, I had a few patients who had swelling for longer periods. In these patients, I believe it was due to redundant edema (trapped intercellular swelling).

Few things might help:

• Arnica and related compounds.
  • Sleep upright (45-degree angle) for sometime.
  • Lymphatic massage helps to push the redundant swelling.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS