5 Weeks Post Liposuction to Waist and Thighs the Swelling has Not Decreased and am Now On Diuretic, What Can I Do?

I had liposuction of the waist, hips, inner and outer thighs, and knees approximately 5 wks ago and have endured significant swelling from each of these areas. For 3 weeks my cosmetic surgeon drained fluid from both legs and put my on a diuretic. To date, there has been little reduction in swelling. Needless to say, I have no results, unless you consider a significant outlay of cash and major swelling to be a positive result. Can anything else be done? When can I expect to see a positive result?

+1

What you are describing is an unusual scenario. Diuretics rarely work and besides giving it time, having massages done to help the fluid to absorb and wearing compression garments, there is not much more. I am sorry to hear about the issues.

DIuretics and swelling

+1

I am not a fan of diuretics, because they can mess with the balanced salt concentration in your blood.  Swelling will eventually subside after liposuctin this can take 3-4 months minimum.

The Use of Water Pills ( Diuretics) to reduce Surgical Swelling

+1

Swelling is part of the body's healing response and the extent of swelling is related to the severity of surgical injury. Not all liposuction is the same and certain techniques (such as laser) are more aggressive than others especially when performed in certain areas of the body. Injury to blood vessels and to lymphatic vessels result in spillage of fluid outside the vascular space to the space outside cells and outside vascular and lymphatic channels. This leakage stops when the vascular channels repair themselves and the fluid is then gradually removed and swelling resolves. The process takes weeks to months. 

Whst do diuretics do? Diuretics are temporary short acting poisons of the filtration units making up the kidneys. When you take a loop diuretic you lose salt and water as t is through the kidney. This results in a drop in the vascular volume and a drop in your blood pressure. Ths then leads to fluid and salt being pulled out of your cells resulting in cell shrinkage and dehydration. It does NOT result in a great reduction in the extra cellular compartment. As a result, using diuretics to lose weight or reduce surgical swelling s a pretty controversial ( read stupid) idea.  Dehydrating your cells of fluid and water in disregard of basic Physiology makes no sense.