How Long Does it Usually Take for Swelling to Go Down After Liposuction?

I am planning on getting liposuction of my hips, thighs, and knees. My PS said he could probably remove around 5000cc and he's closing the incisions. I know I will need to wear the compression garment for 4 weeks. I'm concerned with post-op swelling and was wondering how long after the procedure will it take to fit into my pre-op pants? I have a few family events shortly after(within 3-4weeks) and I'm not sure if I will be able to fit into my normal clothes. How long until I can see changes?

How long does Swelling last after Liposuction?

Bruising and swelling are normal in the suctioned areas and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However it may take 6-9 months to disappear completely. The compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly the process will proceed. You should be able to fit into your normal clothes by 3-4 weeks.

Swelling after liposuction

Wear your garment day and night for 3 weeks, then another 3 weeks in the day only. However, please listen to your surgeon for their instructions.

The final result of liposuction can usually be assessed at 3-4 months. Unfortunately, you may still be affected by swelling for your family events, although it is difficult to say by exactly how much. You can always wear your compression garment underneath your clothes.

Swelling after Liposuction?

Swelling is part of the healing process.  I ask my liposuction patients to wear a compression garment for 4 weeks post op surgery to help with the swelling.  The swelling can take months to subside and even longer for skin to “redrape".  At that point you will see the final results. 

Best Wishes.

At 1 week post op you should already start to be alittle smaller than before the liposuction.

With almost all tumescent tech liposuctions you swell for 3-4 days but you aren't normally any bigger than you were before the liposuction.  At 1 week you are just starting to get alittle smaller already and at 1 month you should see a big difference in your size already.  You will continue to shrink each month and the end result will be usually seen at the 6 month period. Your normal clothes should fit ok throughout the whole process.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling After Liposuction

Initial swelling is 2-3 weeks. To help expedite this, we recommend lymphatic drainage and ultrasound massage starting one week after surgery about 2-4 times over 2 weeks. Additional swelling can take 3-4 months to resolve with final results seen around 6-12 months.

David Amron, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

If you are so concerned than delay the operation so you have more healing time. On average a month to 3 months is the range for full healing after any type of liposuction. Regards 

Swelling from liposuction can last several weeks

Most of the obvious swelling from liposuction will resolve within a few weeks, however, the finer swelling and skin contraction can take several months. By around six months after surgery, you should be able to see your final results. Please direct these specific questions to your plastic surgeon at the time of your consultation or your surgery.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD