Swelling After VASER and Smart Lipo - What's Normal, What's a Red Flag?

I had VASER & SmartLipo 8 days ago. I looked great the next day, but slowly became swollen. Every day until yesterday I received a massage to help with drainage. 6 days after surgery, the massages became more painful and the swelling increased dramatically in my belly and pubic area, down to the bottom of my pubic bone. It is difficult to walk and especially go up staircases because my stomach and pubic area are so swollen it feels like a waterbed is strapped to me. Should I be alarmed?

Swelling After Lipoplasty

+3

An increase in swelling 1 week after lipoplasty is not unusual: this may be due to increased activity, fit or drape of your compression garment, positioning, diet, hydration, among other variables.

Nonetheless, I urge you to see/contact your surgeon as soon as possible to be sure that what you are seeing is normal, and not the signs of an evolving problem or complication.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after VASER liposuction

+2

This is a very difficult question to answer.  There is a normal amount of swelling which follows VASER liposuction but this normal range can be quite broad depending upon how you heal, number of areas treated, etc. 

I would highly recommend seeing your treating physician to make sure that you are not developing a fluid collection, etc.

I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Vaser Lipo

+1

No reason to be alarmed.  The fluid is moving with gravity, south, and a compression garment fitting properly will assist in processing the fluid.  You should plateau, and then decrease the fluid.  With both devices, you should see an excellent result.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and liposuction

+1

More than likely the swelling that you are experiencing is a normal part of the procedure, but if you have concerns, you should speak with your surgeon.