How Much Swelling is Caused by Botox or Juvederm?

I know that everyone is different but can you give me an "average" of how much swelling I should expect from my Juvederm and Botox injections? Will I be able to return to work the following day without looking odd to the general public? Will I be able to apply makeup as normal the next morning?

Botox bruising, Juvederm swelling are not uncommon

+4

I agree that the amount of swelling and bruising is difficult to predict. There is minimal swelling with Botox but it is not unusual to get a small bruise when the region around the eye is treated.

Juvederm and Restylane are hyaluronic acid fillers so they draw in water to the area treated and produce swelling. Benadryl at night orally helps the swelling as does ice.

Try to avoid taking gingko, vitamin E, aspirin and all non-steroidals such as ibuprofen and Aleve for 7-10 days prior to treatment.

A good concealer will help bruising but not cover it completely. Give yourself an opportunity to stay home the first time you get your treatment.

Fairfax Dermatologic Surgeon

Depends on How Good Your Sense of Humor Is, and On How Odd You Look to Begin With

+3

Hi Chole,

The majority of patients that I treat are able to return to work the same or next day with a little strategically applied make up. There shouldn't be any swelling from Botox injections unless there is excessive bleeding and a hematoma forms. This can be avoided if your physician uses pressure over any bleeding immediately.

You can definitely apply make up soon after the treatments.

Only your physician or injector can comment on how odd you may look to the general public (and don't we all see some very odd appearing filler and Botox patients scaring small children and animals on our streets,; at least I do in Beverly Hills and Newport Beach. But that has more to do with whom you choose to have perform your injections...is there any sense of aesthetics, any cosmetic training other than a weekend course and a few Botox parties, are they board certified in one of the cosmetic specialties such as plastic surgery, facial plastic surgery, ENT, dermatology, or oculoplastic surgery?)

When performed properly, most swelling from Juviderm should be gone, and you should be "presentable" within 24 to 48 hours. Choose your physician carefully.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Juvederm and Botox, getting the best result with minimal down time

+2
No two people will respond exactly alike to treatment with Botox or Juvederm but there are some things that can be done before and after injections to help minimize the possibility of swelling and downtime. 
The most important consideration is finding an experienced well trained physician or nurse injector in a physicians office to perform your treatment. Find an office that performs injections daily with an injector with experience with whom you feel comfortable and who understands your goals. Start by being conservative. You can always add more Botox or Juvederm later.
Some other things to help your experience with Botox or Juvederm be the best possible
Pre and Post treatment procedure for injectable treatments:
•Avoid drinking alcoholic beverages 48 hours pre- and post-treatment.
•Avoid taking Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Vitamin E, fish oil and St.John’s Wort seven days pre-treatment and 48 hours post-treatment to decrease the likelihood of bruising. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) may be taken in place of Aspirin and Ibuprofen without increased risk of bruising.
•If you experience bruising or swelling, you may use ice or a cold pack for ten minutes every hour for 3-5 hours.
•You may take Arnica Montana and/or Bromelain enzyme orally 48-72 hours pre-treatment for bruising (use as directed on product package) which may be continued post-treatment as needed until bruising resolves.
•Do not rub or massage the areas injected with Botox for 4 hours and the areas injected with Dermal Filler for 1 week after injection as you may cause the product to migrate.
•Do not lie down for 4 hours after Botox injection as this may also cause product migration.
•Do not have facials, chemical peels or microdermabrasion for at least five days after injection.
•Avoid strenuous exercise for the remainder of the day of injection.
•Do not have facial laser treatments for at least 72 hours before or after injection.
•You may begin to see Botox results in as little as three days. It can take up to seven days to see the full effect of the treatment.
•In my plastic surgery practice we are conservative with your initial treatment. If you do not see the desired effect after seven days, feel free to schedule a follow-up appointment during which you may discuss your results with your injector and have additional treatment if you desire.
Although side effects with injectables are not unusual and are nearly impossible to predict, choosing a medical provider with extensive experience that uses reliable and effective products will give you the most desired result.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and Bruising after Botox or Juvederm

+2

Anytime you have an injection, ie a needle is inserted into your skin, there is the potential for bruising and swelling. Botox, however, swelling is rare and if it occurs is temporary, bruising is slightly more common with botox but typically is mild and limited to the injection sites. The bruising with botox is easily hidden with make up.

Juvederm would have the potential to cause more swelling than Botox. Often times swelling is a function of both tecnique and the patient's reaction to the injection. Most of the time, swelling is less severe with Juvederm than with Restylane (but both can cause it).

Most patients can return to work the next day without any problems after Botox or Juvederm or restylane.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling and bruising are unpredictable

+2

Swelling from Botox only lasts a few hours. If you develop a hematoma or bruising, this may take several days to resolve.

With Juvederm and all the other dermal fillers, swelling can last a few days. Bruising, however, is variable and might be difficult to cover with makeup for the first few days. In my experience, a new collagen product called Evolence has the least bruising and the least swelling.

My suggestion would be to have the injections on a Friday, lay low for the weekend, and you should be okay to return to work on Monday.

It is important to avoid Aspirin and Motrin for at least 10 days prior to te injection. Use ice compress after the injection help control swelling.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Swelling Usually Resolves 4-6 Hours Following Injections

+1

In the vast majority of patients who undergo botox and juvéderm injections, the resultant swelling would be considered minimal. This is especially true when botox is injected. Obviously there's trauma from the needle stick and volume from the botox injection itself. Most of this swelling resolves in 4 to 6 hours and is completely gone in 24 hours in most cases.

When juvéderm is injected the swelling may be more pronounced. Juvéderm consists of hyaluronic acid, which may induce swelling. This reaction may take longer to resolve and in rare cases may last for 2 to 3 days.

Prolonged swelling can be avoided by using ice in the immediate post injection period.  In addition, it's important to avoid drugs that can cause bleeding prior to injection. These include aspirin, ibuprofen, Aleve, and Motrin.

In the majority of patients it's reasonable to return to work the next day, although rare exceptions exist. When this scenario occurs make up can be easily worn to disguise bruising and swelling.

If you're concerned about this issue it's important to talk to your physician. Your physician should be able to discuss this issue with you and alleviate your anxiety.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

+1
Botox should not cause swelling. But Juvederm does. Ice packs overnight can help. Minimise activity for the first 48 hours

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

There should be very minimal swelling with Botox

+1

and the swelling subsides within minutes.  You should be able to go to work and can apply make-up if you wanted to immediately after.  Bruising can be minimized by not being on any aspirin and going to a careful and experienced injector.  The same is true for Juvederm - minimal swelling and can go to work immediately after. 

Felix Kuo, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

Botox and Juvederm swelling

+1

Botox injections cause a small amuount of soft tissue swelling at the site of injection thatis dues to the infusion of the drug.  It  usually dissi[ates after about 15-30 minutes.

Usually very little swelling after juvederm and Botox.

+1

Hi

Of course an occasional complication with a lot of swelling does happen.  But most of our patients in Manhattan go right back to work after Juvederm or Botox injections.  The lips can look a little too big for 2 or 3 days.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)