Could I Still Have Swelling 2.5 Weeks After Smart Lipo?

I had smart lipo on my upper abs Feb.25th My ribs and belly button are still real tender, and as the day goes on, I seem to swell. I don't feel hard spots, so I didn't know if this was pretty much my final result...???

All liposuction forms including smart lipo will induce some swelling

+1

There are flulids that are injected for anesthetic prior to the smartlipo and all forms of liposuction.  In addition to these fluids, your body creates fluid production as part of inflammation which is a normal part of the healing porcess after liposuction.  This normally, slowly decreases over several weeks to months.  By 4-8 weeks the swelling is considerably less, and there is continued retraction of the tissues for three to six months after surgery.

+1

Very unusual but it is possible to have swelling after Smart Lipo. If after lymphatic massage therapies and external ultrasound and 3 months postop you still have swelling than consider a revision. From MIAMI 

Swelling may be hard or soft after smartlipo liposculpture

+1

Swelling may be hard or soft after smartlipo liposculpture. Both represent accumulations of water but hard swelling also indicates inflammation which is a normal sequela to liposuction surgery. Most patients resolve swelling within 3 months but should remain in contact with their surgeon.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Lipo and swelling

+1

You absolutely can have swelling and I am sure you do have swelling being that it is only two and half weeks after liposuction.  It may take months before the swelling goes away.

Swelling after lipo is normal

+1
All forms of liposuction, including Smartlipo, leave patients with postoperative swelling. The swelling is usually at it's greatest 2-3 days after the procedure but can last up to 8-12 weeks depending on the area treated and the amount of fatty tissue removed. So, at 2.5 weeks all the symptoms you describe are well within the norm.

Elan B. Singer, MD

Swelling after SmartLipo

+1

At 3 weeks, you are in the very early healing period after SmartLipo. All surgery is trauma and the body responds to injury by producing fluids and protein. They are the cause of swelling and hardness after surgery. In liposuction, it takes about 6 weeks to 3 months for the swelling to go down and the tissues to soften. With SmartLipo, we are using the laser and heat energy to enhance the skin tightening over the areas of fat removal. It may take 4-6 months to see the full effects of laser skin tightening.

Have patience and stay in contact with your surgeon. Massage and exercise can help speed up this process.

Richard L. Dolsky Md

Richard L. Dolsky, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Swelling at 2.5 weeks

+1

You are very early in the healing process. Swelling, and some lumpiness/ uneveness is normal but the fluctuation should lessen over 6-9 months. You should be noticing less swelling over time not more. Follow up with your plastic surgeon to make sure you are on course.

Raj S. Ambay, MD