Sweat and Hair Grafts

Sometimes I work out in the evenings. Obviously I shower afterwards, but don't always wash my hair until the next morning. Is this bad for transplanted hair?

Re: Sweat and Hair Grafts After A Hair Transplant

Washing your hair the following morning after a work out will not affect the hair grafts. However, in the months after your surgery, your scalp will be in the process of healing. So it will be important to keep your scalp clean and free of dirt, oil and bacteria which may create some degree of risk for infection.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Working out after Hair Transplant

It is unlikely that any amount of sweating can damage transplanted hair .  Within a few days the grafts are fixed and stable.  I have patients start washing their hair the day after a transplant and this does not cause a problem.

Jack Fisher, MD

After care for hair transplantation

Treat your transplanted hair as you would the hair you already have.  As you have already heard, too much washing can strip your hair of essential oils and lead to itching, flaking. and dryness. 

Allan J. Parungao, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Treat it like normal hair

Your transplanted hairs, once they have grown in after the procedure, wil behave the same as your native hairs. So they can absolutely stand to have a little sweat and skin oil on or around them without concern. Over-washing can actually lead to more of a dry scalp or increased dandruff by taking away too much of the natural skin oil produced by the scalp. The presence of those natural skin oils actually help to give your hairs a more full, thick appearance to some degree.

Manu Gujrati, MD
San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

No washing? No sweat

Would you worry about not washing your natural hairs in that area?
Once you are out of the immediate postoperative period (7-10 days) transplanted hair requires the same maintenance as your other existing hair follicles. So don't worry if you don't get around to washing it for a day or two after working out.

Nicole E. Rogers, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Hair transplant grafts and sweating

Sweating and not taking a shower will not affect the transplanted hair grafts. Routine shampooing and conditioning of your hair is important in maintaining a healthy hair. Dr. Behnam

Ben Behnam, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Sweat and Hair Transplants

Washing the scalp is important, but will not improve the results of your hair transplant surgery, except during the first 10 days after the procedure. Immediately after surgery follow your surgeon's instructions.

Post transplant hair care

Sweat or frequent use of commercial shamposs and conditioners will not affect your hair transplant result. Routine scalp hygiene should be part of your routine with or without hair transplants.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Frequent hair washing

No. In fact frequent hair shampoing will wash away most of the oil produced by the scalp leading to over working of oil produciing glands that will make hair greasy.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon