Suturing Techniques or Cartilage Resection for my Bulbous Tip? (photo)

I had a tip rhinoplasty 6 months ago. The tip is still bulbous, and what I hate the most, is the jonction of the tip and the dorsum. It is not a smooth line. If I look carefully I can see how the cartilage were cut. If I push very slightly on the cartilages, I have the nose I wanted.I'm not sur if more resection would be best appropriate as I thk It broke the line between the tip and the dorsum. Maybe suturing techniques? What do you think? thanks you very much

The Nose Will Continue to Change

+1

If you are considering any kind of rhinoplasty revision, especially the tip, time is a virtue.  The nose will continue to change for 6-12 months post-op.  Wait another 6 months, see how you feel about the bulbous tip, and contact your plastic surgeon for your options.  You and your surgeon should be monitoring this situation and exploring options to please you when the time comes. “Dr. D”

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

6 months tip rhinolasty progress

+1
Wait another 6 months before making any judgements on your results. The swelling may just be starting to resolve in your tip so patience is the best remedy for now.

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty Revision Surgery

+1

It is hard to give you specific advice without seeing you. In general, however, it is best to wait 12 months, or until the nasal tip is no longer changing, before revising. Your plastic surgeon should be following you and interval photographs can help document the changes that you nose is undergoing.

The tip is the last place that swelling resolves on the nose and this can take 12 months, or longer. The amount of swelling and the timeline of the changes are the most  important determinants. Since swelling resolves top down, it is common for the upper nose to shrink first, leaving a relatively larger tip. At 6 months it may be that the tip swelling has not resolved. When it does, the tip will shrink. If it does not get better int he next 6 months, then consider revision rhinoplasty. While you are waiting keep taking pictures so you can see what is happening.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon