Can Sutures Open Two Weeks After Tummy Tuck?

I had a full tummy tuck 14 days ago, and even though I feel good, i am still walking on a slighly bent position. If I try to stand up straight, would that cause my wound to open? I still feel tightness and numbness all along my abdominal wall and I get tired very quickly. Thank you.

Tightness after Tummy Tuck ...Yes you can pull your sutures open.

+1

At two weeks post op you still should have tightness in your abdomen.  Do not try to stand up straight.  You can pull your sutures open.

Can Tummy Tuck Sutures Open Two Weeks After Tummy Tuck?

+1

RE "If I try to stand up straight, would that cause my wound to open? I still feel tightness and numbness all along my abdominal wall and I get tired very quickly"

First, YOUR surgeon should have answered all your questions before surgery and continue to do so after your operation. He is the only one who examined you and performed your operation and as such he is the only one whose opinion really counts. That being said, if the operation was performed properly AND you are not a high risk patient (smoker, insulin dependent diabetic, auto immune disease patient (such as lupus etc) and are not taking immunosuppressive medications), it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY the transverse wound would pop open just because you straightened up gradually. At the time of surgery we take this into consideration and we do NOT remove so much skin that you are unable to ever straighten out. As regards the tightness, it will persist for months and gradually "give" but there will ALWAYS be a central area of numbness just above the pubic area. Women who had C-section also have numbness in this area.

I would encourage you to straighten gradually. You will find that the back muscle strain caused by walking hunched over causes the back pain and once you are straight the pain will largely go away.

Good Luck.

Peter Aldea, MD
Memphis, TN