Will Sutures from Liposuction and Mini Tummy Tuck Be Visible?

I went to a consulation with a plastic surgeon for Liposuction and Mini Tummy Tuck. We also talked about ab suturing but I did not think to ask if & when the sutures dissolve would the ab muscle stay in place? Would the sutures be visible in any way, bumps or lines? Thanks for any help.

eddie

Depending on the suture it can take months

+1

It continues to amaze me what "surgeons" will sell to the general public-"ab suturing" an interesting twist. All buried sutures will dissolve anywhere from 3 to 6 months after surgery. So this "ab suturing" which I assume is an attempt to recreate the "6-pack" will have sutures that likely dissolve relatively quickly. So will you have the 6-pack look once they dissolve or for that matter immediately after the surgery? Maybe but I think it's snake oil. Best of luck.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Lipo and Mini Tummy Tuck sutures are usually not visible

+1

The sutures used for tightening the muscles during tummy tuck are deep enough that they cannot be felt, even in thinner patients. I have never had a patient complain about that. I use permanent sutures so you don't have to worry about the muscle separating. To close the incision, I use dissolvable sutures underneath the skin, so while you may feel a little bumpiness at first, the sutures usually dissolve to leave a fine line scar that has no suture marks or bumps.

Good luck.

Edison Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty, mini-abdominoplasty, liposuction

+1

Dear Eddie,

There are different types of sutures used for the skin and the muscle in an abdominoplasty. For the muscle tightening- the surgeon may use a permanent stitch- such as a nylon, prolene or braided suture, or they may use an absorbing suture such as a PDS. These sutures are usually very deep and not visible or palpable.

The skin closure sutures may be a combination of permanent and disolving sutures. Most surgeons will place these beneath the skin (they are disolving/hidden and do not need to be removed) so that there are not any marks on the skin from the sutures.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Suture visibility

+1

Eddie,

Even if your skin under your belly button was really, really thin it would be very unlikely to feel the sutures. Your ABPS board certified plastic surgeon will know what type of suture to use and where to place the knots so that they aren't palpable after surgery. Many patients have this concern even if they have a good amount of fatty cushion in the lower abdominal area.

As far as the muscles rewidening after surgery, by the time absorbable sutures disappeared (most of the time we use either permanent or very long lasting material) the scar has formed so your muscles wouldn't reseparate even if you got intot he gym and starting doing crunches.

Tummy tuck muscle stitches

+1

700,

The stitches used to tighten your muscles are usually permanent and not visible externally.  If your surgeon uses an absorbalble stitch, the muscles usually stay in their tightened position after the stitch absorbs because they scar into that position.  Good luck! 

Mini tummy tuck and liposcution

+1

A mini tummy tuck allows for plication of the muscles in the midline from the umbilicus down to the pubic region.  If you want/need tightening above the umbilicus, then you probably need to undergo a full tummy tuck. 

Plication suture should not be felt

+1

Plication of the abdominal fascia(layer above and attached to the muscle) is a key step in tummy tuck surgery.Most surgeons would prefer a non absorbable suture however a late dissolving absorbable suture could work as well. These plications suture are placed deep under the skin flap that it wod be hard to feel. It is important to hide the knot specialy in thin patients.

Web reference: http://newportplastic.com/liposuction/

Sutures not visible

+1

Unless you are extremely thin and your surgeon uses permanent suture materials, your sutures wll not be visible although sometimes you can feel them. Whether or not the muscle repair is successful will depend on things beyond the sutures themselves.

Sutures are generally not visible in tummy tucks

+1

Every surgeon has different preferences for suturing a patient's muscles and skin in a tummy tuck.  Usually they are not visible and most are absorbable. 

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com

Mini tummy tuck and liposuction scars

+1

The deep sutures should not be palpable, even in very thin patients, whatever the suture material.

The muscles are generally tightened up to the umbilicus with a conventional mini tuck.

In the appropriate patient, a Hybrid tummy tuck (TM) can tighten all the way up including above the belly button through a mini-tuck incision.

Liposuction is possible with either technique and should leave minimal scarring, no additional if the liposuction is done in the abdomen. Usually if flank liposuction is done at the same time, separate 1/8 inch incisions are made in the flank area.

Web reference: http://drbrent.com/hybridabdominoplastyprocedure.php