Can Sutures Inside the Nose Unravel Due to Smiling Widely After Cast off (8 Days Post-op)?

I had my cast taken off 8 days post-op. 7 hours later I smiled a lot with no problem, half an hour later I smiled again and I felt my left nostril (somewhere in the middle of the tip of the nose and the eyes) unravel (the only way I could describe it). It was previously numb but not anymore. My surgeon did a septorhinoplasty, he carried out trans and inter domal sutures. Have I ruined my surgeons work? Or at 8 days post-op the sutures have sufficiently healed so the the nerves reconnected?

Suture Dehiscence After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Pink181,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Perhaps what you are trying to describe is a suture dehiscence where the suture could be falling apart or splitting. If so, I believe that your sutures will dissolve on their own and our laughing should have nothing to do with causing any negative impact on your sutures or results.

However, if there is something noticeable then it would be beneficial to have your surgeon take a look at your nose and examine it to rule out any concerning issue.

The best of wishes to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Sutures

+1

Some internal rhinoplasty sutures are designed to dissolve over time.  Call your surgeon and find out.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eigth Days Post Rhinoplasty

+1
At eigth days post Rhinoplasty your incisions will be fairly well healed. Smiling after surgery is not a restriction and should cause no harm to your final surgical result. As surgeons we want all our patients smiling after surgery! If you have concerns see your surgeon asap for a follow up appointment.

Michael Elam, MD