Can Sutures in the Nasal Tip Be Reversed or Altered?

I had Rhinoplasty 2 weeks ago to remove my dorsal hump & also have my bulbous tip refined. My nostrils were very visible before surgery and I asked the surgeon not to make them more visible or to make my tip any higher. Now my tip is higher and my nostrils are so much more visible & open than before. My surgeon said he used sutures to change the tip of my nose and I suspect he rotated my tip up using this method too. Can the sutures be changed in 6 months time if need be or is this permenant? :(

Give your nose time to heal after a rhinoplasty...

+2

Generally speaking, in my patients, concerns regarding the appearance in the early period after a rhinoplasty are often overblown. Typically as the swelling resides the patient is then satisfied with the final appearance. In those rare cases where it is obvious that something is incorrect, perhaps due to suture breakage or an early scar contracture, an early intervention (reoperation) can be considered. Most of the time any revisions should wait until at least a year or even two have gone by.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Tip Modification with Sutures During Rhinoplasty

+2

Sutures are frequently used to change the width, position, and contour of the tip.You are fortunate that sutures were used rather than modifying the tip with the removal of extensive amounts of  cartilage.  The  stitches can be removed or repositioned with a tip revision, but I strongly recommend that you wait 6-12 months to make any changes.

Sutures in nasal tip

+2

Sutures in the nasal tip are used to create refinement of the tip usually. Initially post-op the tip can look a bit over done. Give it time to settle and for the swelling to dissipate.

When to revise

+2

The buzzword for revisions is 6 months to a year. Recently many expert revision surgeons ar doing simple revisions in 3 months or less.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Sutured nasal tip reversal.

+2

Sutured nasal tip reversal can be done  but you should wait at least 6-12 months as the nose will change in that time.

Tip rhinoplasty can be revised.

+2

Hi.

Do not do anything for six months.  Things may very well settle down.  But if eventually you need a revision, it can be done.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)