Sutures Won't Hold and Pseudomonas After Breast Implants - What to Do?

I am 10 weeks post breast augmentation.Post drain & suture closure for a hematoma my incision will not heal. My incision continues to open,I am on my 4th set of silk sutures.5 days ago my surgeon put in 6 sutures hoping that it will heal.He says this is the last resort before removing the implant so it can heal.On this visit I was postive for psuedomonas at the incision site.What can I do to help these sutures hold.And is this something I have done wrong or my surgeon?And best antibiotics for psuedomonas at my open incision site at the time?

Sutures Won't Hold and Pseudomonas After Breast Implants - What to Do

+2

Sutures Won't Hold and Pseudomonas After Breast Implants - What to Do? It essentially sounds as if the best option will be to remove the implant and allow 6 months time before considering replacement

Badly infected breast implants usually need to come out.

+2

Hi.

1) From your story, it sounds like the breast implant needs to be removed, and replaced in six months. You have a long term open wound and a bad infection.

2) The best surgeons get an occasional complication.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Infected Breast Implants

+2

An infection associated with breast implants is hard to eradicate because the bacteria form a BIOFILM which our white cells and antibiotics have a hard time penetrating. In the case of breast implants, the best course is implant removal, washing the pocket thoroughly and closing. After allowing 4-6 months of healing, implants may be replaced.

Look up the wikipedia description of Biofilm.

Implant infection

+2

I won't opine about silk vs. other sutures.

You have an infected  implant.  The wound won't heal until the implant is removed.  It is best to get it out, let it heal, and get it replaced in a few months.

This is not a great situation, but take heart, it is not the end of the world either.

Contact me if you wish.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Infection and incision

+1

If you have an infection of an implant, then the best treatment is probably to remove it and let things heal and settle down and then go back in a few months to replace it.

Infected breasts implants need to be removed

+1

It sounds like your surgeon has made every reasonable effort to save your implant but it apperas that it needs to be removed at this point.  This can happen even after doing everything right.  Allow them to proceed with removal and wait a few months until you try to replace them.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Failure of incision to close

+1

In a healthy patient an incision that won't heal typically means that there is either an infection or a foreign body there. This could mean the implant in your case that may have bacteria around it and your body is simply unable to fight off that infection.

I personally do not think that re-closing an incision that opened up due to an inefction will help but under close monitoring by your plastic surgeon, it is worth a careful try. Stay in close contact with your plastic surgeon and follow their instructions. It does sound though as you may have to have the implant)sa) removed and to heal for at least 3-6 months before attempting surgery.

I wish you well.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Infection after breast implants

+1

Unfortunately it does sound as if your implant will need to come out.  In most cases, it's nothing that either you or the surgeon did which caused a local wound infection.  We generally keep the implants out for three months prior to replaving them, which is disappointing for both the patient and surgeon, but safer for you in the long run.  I would ask your surgeon about the best antibiotic for your particualr strain of bacteria, as these days the lab checks the sensitivity of the organism against antibiotics to rule out any drug resistance.  Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS