A suture has caused an infection on my mastopexy what do I do?

A small opening with a small amount of pus at my incision line from post op 7 weeks

Mastopexy and Infection

Thank you for your question. You need to see your surgeon and likely be on antibiotics until you clear this up. They may need to irrigate the area, but likely antibiotics will do the trick. If you have an implant, and the infection has reached the implant, it has to come out. I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

360 Rose Ave
Danville, CA 94526

Mastopexy and stitch abscess

It sounds like you might have a stitch abscess, but in order to be sure you would need to be seen in person.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Mastopexy Infection?

It is common for a suture to poke through the incision if it is too close to the skin. Without seeing a photo, it is hard to say if you have a true infection although it is not likely. I recommend making an appointment with your plastic surgeon as soon as possible to have the wound evaluated. He will likely trim the suture in the office which should resolve the problem.

Hope this helps!

R. Michael Koch, MD
Tarrytown Plastic Surgeon

155 White Plains Rd
Tarrytown, NY 10591

Spitting suture

Usually, when this happens it is not actually infected, but a sterile abscess. Show it to your doctor and he or she will remove it and tell you how to take care of it till it settles back down.

Meghan K. McGovern, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

900 Mohawk Street
Savannah, GA 31419

Stitch exposed after mastopexy

Sorry to hear about your suture being exposed. This should be removed by your PS to allow the wound to heal properly.

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

1635 Matthews Township Parkway
Matthews, NC 28105-4657

These types of “stitch absences” generally resolve without intervention and/or long term sequalae. Occasionally, a suture remains in place; your plastic surgeon may be able to remove it and expedite healing. Follow-up with him/her for the best/most relevant recommendations.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942