Doctor Recommendation for Trans-Umbilical Breast Augmentation in New York

I just saw a video online of Trans-Umbilical Breast Augmentation.I thought to myself amazing.I really dont want any visiable scars and this would be perfect.But after reviewing this procedure it seems like a risk.I want a natual appearance and feel.I'm currently a size 36B and just want to gain one cup size.Has anyone had this procedure and can the implant be placed under the chest muscle ?

TUBA

+1
TUBA is not a technique that most surgeons perform because it requires special training and higher skill. However, I have performed TUBA for years. It is safe and actually involves a shorter recovery period than other breast augmentation techniques.

The implant is placed via an incision hidden in the belly button. This leaves no visible scar anywhere near the breast. (Even the armpit incision can sometimes be very visible in a bathing suit or strapless top or dress.)

Recent advances in instrumentation make it possible to perform the operation placing the implant either above or below the muscle. As there is no cutting of tissue over the ribs, patients experience much less pain and quicker recovery – even with placement under the muscle.

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

TUBA approach

+1
The incision for transumbilical breast augmentation is made at the navel. Once the small incision is made, a small path is cut under the skin toward the breasts to allow for the insertion of a long flexible tube called an endoscope. The breast implants are positioned in the chest via this tube. While it is easier to place the implants over the muscle using this method, it is also possible (although much more difficult) to place them under the muscle if desired.

The primary benefit for the transumbilical incision is the minimal visible scarring. The scar is short, often just one to two centimetres long, and it is placed within the navel, far from the breasts. For most patients, however, the limitations and difficulties of a transumbilical breast augmentation will outweigh the reduced scarring.

Inaccurate implant positioning: Since the incision is so far from the placement site, it is significantly more difficult to position the implants accurately. This dramatically increases the odds of ending up with asymmetry or unnatural-looking results. When the incision is in the inframammary or periareolar position, implant placement is not only easier to do, but also improves the final result.

Only saline implants: Another drawback of transumbilical breast augmentation is the length of the incision. Because it is so short, only a saline implant shell can be placed, which is then filled after it is positioned in the body. This limits your choice of implants. Silicone cohesive gel implants are too large to go through the endoscope without sustaining damage. Saline breast implants tend to be less natural-feeling than cohesive silicone gel implants and also increase the risk of visible rippling, particularly when placed over the muscle.

A different approach is necessary with revision surgery: A final negative point is that surgical corrections are almost impossible to perform with the transumbilical approach. Any revision surgeries to correct placement, excessive internal scarring, rippling, rupture or for replacement must often use a different approach, which require a more extensive incision.

Ultimately, the choice of incision placement comes down to the patient's individual priorities for a breast augmentation. However, the transumbilical approach is often not recommended due to its difficulties in achieving natural, satisfying results.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Trans-umbilical breast augmentation (TUBA)

+1

I have done over 5000 TUBA procedures over the past 23 years with excellent results.  Implants can be placed above or below the chest muscle using this approach.  The big advantage to the TUBA approach is that there is only a single scar hidden within the belly button.  The disadvantages include the fact that only saline-filled implants can be used with the TUBA approach.  Also, if any future surgeries are required or if there are any problems that occur during the initial surgery, a different incision site may become necessary.  I would suggest finding an American Board of Plastic Surgery-certified doctor to do your surgery as there are a LOT of non-ABPS-certified doctors out there offering this procedure. 

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Transumbilical breast augmentation

+1

There is a lot of misinformation about trans-umblical breast augmentation surgery or TUBA.  This is due to the fact that there are few plastic surgeons who have been exposed to or trained in this procedure.  This leads to many thoughts and opinions on the procedure that have been perpetuated without basis in experience or scientific evidence.

To answer your questions:

Can a natural look and appearance be achieved with a TUBA?

Yes.  Although no size can be guaranteed with any breast implant technique, it is possible to have a modest increase in size without having a "fake" look.  Your goals and preference should be clearly discussed with your surgeon before having any breast augmentation.

Can the implant be placed under the chest muscle with the trans-umbliical technique?

Again, yes.  In fact, with the TUBA, it is easier and more commonly place under chest muscle than above.

The TUBA procedure has been performed safely in thousands of women however, like every other technique there are benefits and risks that should be discussed with your plastic surgeon.  When asking about transumbilical breast augmentations make sure you discuss it with a plastic surgeon who is comfortable performing this procedure and that he or she is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Transumbilical breast augmentation

+1

TUBAis a procedure to plae SALINE implants through the umbilicus through a narrow tube up into the chest.  I have used TABA transabdominal breat augmentation for patients undergoin abdominplasty surgery. But this is done under direct vision.  I can use saline or silcone implants this way. In fact, I used to give a course on this at our national meeting.  I do not think using  TUBA is the best way for a primary procedure, because of the limited visibility.

There are many reasons to avoid trans umbilical breast aumentation.

+1

Hi.

We strongly advise against this operation, and so do most plastic surgeons. Here are some reasons:

1)  It voids the manufacturer's warranty for the implants.  That tells you what the manufacturers think of this operation which really  traumatizes  the implants.

2)  It only can be done with saline implants, and most women get better results (more natural looking and feeling) with silicone gel implants.

3)  Incidence of poor results (bad shape and bad symmetry) and need for revision is higher.

4)  If you need a revision, you will need a scar anyway.

5)  Breast augmentation patients are never unhappy because of the tiny scar.  If you are unhappy, it will be because of bad shape or bad symmetry.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

+1

There are many pros and cons to the Transumbilical Breast Augmentation (TUBA) procedure. You should educate yourself on them. Dr. Leonard Grossman has probably the largest experience in the New York area with this operation. Look his website up and educate yourself.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Not a good ideal

+1

The most important thing concerning breast augmentation is that it is NOT a one time operation-period!!

You will require revisions within your life time.  When you do you will not be able to use the belly button incision and most likely not the armpit  especially if revision is due to capsular contraction.  Mal position is more common with the belly button and  armpit incision as well.  also with the belly button you can only use saline implants.

Any problem with a breast implant is a serious issue.  Do your self a favor a consult a few more board certified plastic surgeons, like the one above in new york.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

It's not ideal. Getting the implants in the right position is more important

+1

It's not so amazing.  You cannot place the implant under the muscle if you introduce it through the belly button.  The dissection is more difficult too.  Plus you are almost certainly going to have another implant operation in the future and redos are not usually possible through the belly button.  The scar can be very favorably on the breast.  You might want to consider having the periareolar approach.  Keep in mind, the belly button scar does not always heal so well and might well be more conspicuous than a periareolar incision or even an inframammary one.  The size of the implant does not matter too much either way. 

There is a reason that trans-umbilical breast augmentation never really caught on.  Much more important than the incision is proper dissection of the pocket, which is more difficult with a distant approach.  The incision is likely going to be quite acceptable either way.  But you need to have proper dissection of the pocket to provide a natural look, cleavage, as much symmetry as possible, and also avoid the U-shaped bookend look.  So think more about the appearance and shape of your breasts and not so much on the incision.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

See a board certified plastic surgeon

+1

Cassie, I see you are asking 2 sets of questions re breast augmentation. I have been doing this surgery and teaching residents for over 30 years. From my personal point of view there are two fads to be avoided. One is trans umbilical augmentation and the other is trans axillary. Both of these have a higher incidence of problems, such as malposition - then if you need it re done, there is a scar on the breast. So why not have a tiny scar part way around your areola which is quite inconspicuous and have the surgery done correctly the first time.

If there are only one or two surgeons doing a procedure you need to ask why --- the answer is that it is not a great procedure.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD