Does Surgically Tightened Skin Lose Some of Its Elasticity?

Dear doctors, I am in my mid twenties and considering having a skin pinch done under my eyes to correct slightly loose skin and wrinkling. I have heard however that surgically tightened skin loses some of its elasticity and which causes the skin to loosen again with time, more quickly than if nothing had been done. This would mean having to redo the operation every few years to maintain the results, and ending up with a "pulled" look. Is this true or false? Thankyou for your answers

Does Surgically Tighened Skin Lose Elasticity?

+1

Thank you for your question.  I do not believe that a skin pinch procedure on your lower eyelids will change the elasticity of the skin.  A skin pinch does not involve undermining or surgically lifting the skin.  Very little scar tissue develops beneath the eyelid skin.  My major concern is that you are very young for such a procedure and are likely to gain little benefit.  I would consider waiting until you are older unless the problem is quite noticable or severe.  Best wishes!

Lower lids

+1

The far majority of twenty-somethinds do NOT need lower eyelid surgery.  The primary goal of lower lid blepharoplasty is to remove fatty deposits or bags.  A minor goal is to tighten the lower lid skin in patients over 50 years of age

Loosening of skin

+1

Generally skin will loose some of its tone with time. My experience is that eyelid surgery does not affect the development of lax skin in the periorbital region. Many factors other than surgery can cause the skin to loose elasticity with time - these may be genetic or environmental - such factors such as smoking and excessive sun exposure can greatly exacerbate the development of wrinkles. Because of your young age I wound not rush into surgery without careful consideration.

Wilfred Brown, MD
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Surgery Causing Elasticity?

+1

I would not say that eyelid surgery causes skin laxity long term.  However, a person who gets surgery at a younger age for skin laxity probably has a greater chance or doing the procedure again.  This is primarily due to the fact that the skin for whatever reason wrinkled early in the first place, so your constitution predisposes you to having laxity again.  Hope this helps.

Lower Eyelid Skin Pinch

+1

Skin looses elasticity with time, sun exposure, over distention (massive weight gain/pregnancy), and other environmental factors.  A skin pinch won't change elasticity.  However, I skin pinch will probably fail to make you look any better.  As a 20 something year old, any kind of skin removal surgery from the lower eyelids is most likely going to be a zero gain.  Furthermore, however unlikely, you risk a complication that would make you look worse.  I suggest you avoid skin removal surgery from your lower eyelids.

Instead, protect what you have with good skin care habits, don't smoke, and stay out of the sun.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Does surgically tightened skin lose elasticity?

+1

All skin loses some elasticity over time, regardless of whether it was surgically tightened or not.  The amount of skin removed in a lower eyelid pinch procedure is very small and I would say that having the procedure is not going to mean that you will have to have it done again every few years to maintain it. You will continue to age, whether you have the surgery or not, but if you have the procedure done, you will always be ahead of where you would have been if you had not had the surgery at all.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon