Surgery to Shorten an Overprojected Tip - Risks? Technique? Results?

i am considering having rhinoplasty and it would involve shortening an overprojected tip. how is this achieved and are there many risks of complications. also, how does it change the appearance of your nose from the front view?

Surgery to shorten over-projected nasal tip

+1

Decreasing the projection of the tip will not affect the appearance of the nose from the frontal view. The changes are only seen from the side view. The improvement in the frontal view is often accomplished by narrowing the nasal bridge, tip, and narrowing or straightening the mid-third of the nose with spreader grafts. The side profile views are typically improved by removing cartilage in the tip to de-project and shorten the nose. This can be done through both endonasal and open techniques depending upon the patient’s and surgeon’s desires.  

Tecniques to decrease Tip Projection

+1
There are many techniques to decrease tip projection.  Be careful to select an experiened rhinoplasty surgeon because reducing tip projection too much can increase tip width, which is another unfavorable characteristic. Careful balance must be achieved.

Trust Your Face to a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

There a 4 main methods to decrease projection.  These include medial crural tuck up (as described by Dr. William Silver), dome division, Lipsett technique, and the free alar technique.  There are pros an cons to each technique.  You need a formal evaluation to see which technique is best for you.  Warmest regards, Dr. Pippin.

Gregory Pippin, MD
Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon

In Rhinoplasty, I look at the entire nose.

+1

During my rhinoplasty consultations, I take into consideration the patient's desires, their height, their face (round/thin), and chin projection. All of these areas will dictate how the nose will appear after surgery. If the tip is over projected, the goal is to bring it closer to the face but it is important to understand the relationship with the chin. Equally important is to create a smooth and natural transition from the bridge or dorsum of the nose to the tip, nasociliary line. Addressing the nasal dorsum can influence what I do to the tip.

Randall Latorre, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for an overprojected nose.

+1
There are many ways to do this. The main idea is to make the nose not stick out so far. But other Issues are involved in each nose, such as width,skin thickness, etc. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon whose noses you like since that is what is important.

Rhinoplasty is a complex procedure with many interactive maneuvers

+1

I often lecture on rhinoplasty to young surgeons and one of the first things I say is that each maneuver performed has many consequences. To cite a few examples: removing a hump can change the relationship to the tip. Narrowing a tip can also weaken the tip and rotate the tip. Reducing tip projection can widen a tip and nostrils. This is if these procedures are done alone. As long as your surgeon understands the nuances of rhinoplasty, these changes can be compensated for and often used to your advantage.
In rhinoplasty almost all parts of the nose usually need to be addressed and part is for balance and part is for the conditions discussed above.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD