Is It Possible to Surgically Remove 4 Yr Old Filler From Under Eyes? (photo)

Is it possible to surgically remove filler (Juvaderm) injected 4 years ago under the eyes? Ive had multiple hyaluronidase (at least 6 or 7) and 1 steroid injection which failed to reduce the lumpiness (they just degraded my tissue), nor has time resolved the problem (despite doctors' claims that this filler is "temporary" and "reversible"!). If the Juvaderm has indeed been absorbed/dissolved, why is the lumpiness still there and can whatever is there be removed, akin to a bleph?

Juvederm unlikely present at 4 years

+1

I agree with the others that I don't think Juvederm is still there after 4 years and it looks some changes of normal aging. I would not get more injections of steroid or hyaluronidase as these will only increase a hollow appearance. I think consultation for eyelid surgical rejuvenation procedure is a great idea - rather than sugical removal.

Charlotte Dermatologist

Is It Possible to Surgically Remove 4 Yr Old Filler From Under Eyes?

+1

Agree with my colleagues that this is unlikely Juvederm at 4 years and might be malar edema or fat bags.  Have a few consultations regarding lower eyelid surgery for evaluation of this area.  

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Malar fullness after hyaluronic acid injection

+1

My opinion is that the fullness you see is not juvederm.  There is one study I read that suggests juvederm may last as long as two years in the periorbital region, but not four.  And after multiple hyaluronidase injections, juvederm must have resorbed.  So I would suggest you have to rethink your options for treatment from the viewpoint that its now not going to change or respond to more injections.  Whether the malar bags that you now see are from natural aging, the juvederm injection, or both is impossible to say or discern.

Malar bags are a difficult problem to fully correct, even with surgery.  Sometimes they are directly removed, or lasered,  but more often, a modification of lower lid blepharoplasty is suggested.  And even with those modifications, the complete resolution of them is not guaranteed.  These are points to discuss with your surgeon.

Web reference: http://robertsonplasticsurgery.com

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumps under eyes

+1

If lumps have persisted for 4 years and hyaluronidase did not help, more than likely it is herniated orbital fat or possible malar edema( although it is a bit medial for this condition) which commonly appears  on the lateral cheek,.  An exam is essential to assess this properly.

Juvederm under eyes?

+1

I don't think that Juvederm would last anywhere near this long. I would see a plastic surgeon and find out whether these little "pockets" can be removed. You will probably be left with hollows but they will be easier to fill than "filling in around" these although that would take the edge off and make these less obvious. 

Birmingham Dermatologist

Persistent lump after filler

+1

Another alternative option to removing any lump present in your case is to actually fill in the hollow areas surrounding it (upper cheek, lower eyelid, etc) with fat transfer, or possibly other fillers. Consult an oculoplastic or facial plastic surgeon.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Juvederm for eyes

+1

Juvederm is degradable. I can see the lumpiness under the eyes and I understand your point as well. it might be worth it have a consultation for lower eyelid blepharpplasty and to tighten the skin as well as to remove the filler if needed. I would not do more injections with enzyme at this time 

Permenant fillers

+1

Are you sure it was juvederm that was injected???

it is possible for Juvederm to stay a long time in the lower lid, but it is possible to disolve it. Hyalurinidase need to be injected in different levels.