Is it better to surgically remove a granuloma from Restylane/Voluma? (Photo)

I had Restylane in my tear trough area 2/26/14 with an initial bad reaction that my doctor didn't address. May 5th, it flared up again but my doctor did nothing &told me to find someone who had experience with reactions. I've had 4 injections with Hyrdro but have a granuloma. I just had a steroid injection &have been on antibiotics for 3 weeks for the redness. Is it better to have it surgically removed than go through several more steroid injections? I don't want to have further complications.

Granuloma following filler

+2
I would strongly urge you to try the steroid injections longer.  Steroids can take a couple of weeks to work so be patient.  Antibiotics along with steroids have also been found to be helpful.  

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should I remove a granuloma from fillers

+2
You should not necessarily opt to surgically remove a granuloma, unless you want another issue like a scar. I always opt for removing things as a final option. The last thing you want there is a scar in this case. 

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Restylane Under the Eyes

+1
I'm sorry you are experiencing this. I strongly believe that fat is the only material that should be used to fill under eye hollows or tear troughs. Then, look for a plastic surgeon with considerable training and expertise in this area. Look at many, many photos as well.

It isn't clear whether you were injected with Restylane or Voluma.  Check with both companies (you can do this online) and find the top providers of these products in your area. They will likely have the most experience in treating patients and handling complications.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of complications after injection of hyaluronic acid filler

+1
Has the Restylane been dissolved with a hyaluronidase?  If not, then that should be the first step to eliminate any product that may be creating a reaction.  Steroid injections may be safely performed if they are at the appropriate depth and concentration.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD