Are There Any Non-surgical Ways to Fix Under Eye Hollows?

I have really deep hallows under my eyes, which is causing me to look tired and like I have dark circles. I already consulted a plastic surgeon who said I don't actually have darkness underneath my eyes, it's just that the skin under them is sunken in and the lights in a room causes darkness. When I take a picture with flash or look in a mirror in sunlight, I don't have any darkness. Because I'm 15, I can't have any cosmetic procedures. What else can I do?

Under eye hollowness

+2

The best non-surgical treatment for under eye hollowness is a filler like Restylane or Juvederm.  This is a simple non-surgical procedure that can be done in the office in just a few minutes.  The results are instant but only last about 6 months.  When you are older you should consider fat transfer, which give nice results and is longer lasting in most cases.

Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
Let's be clear right away. I think that 15 years old is too young to begin seeking cosmetic treatment.  Your problem sounds like it could be camouflaged or concealed with makeup allowing you time to mature and develop some fat in the face that will help with this problem even more.  So I know its hard to hear, but I think you should wait it out. That said, there are some alternatives to surgical eyelid rejuvenation. At times, this can be achieved nicely by the astute placement of botulinum toxins, and/or fillers. A combination of one or more of these agents is commonly used to perform eyelid rejuvenation on younger patients, called the "liquid eyelid lift."

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Soft tissue augmentation with injectables for rejuvenation of the lower eyelids in a teenager

+1

The best treatment for you at your age would be with the use of a soft tissue filler such as Juvederm.  Lasers and surgery are not appropriate at your age.  

Non-surgical Ways to Fix Under Eye Hollows

+1

The best non-surgical treatment for under eye hollowness is a filler like Restylane or Juvederm.  This procedure should be done only by an experienced and expert injector due to the risks involved. However, at 15 you should still be cautious and not overly eager to have a procedure. Consult with 3 - 4 experienced and expert injectors in your areas. Wait unless the prevailing recommendation is that you are a candidate.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Nonsurgical treatment Works For Under Eye Hollows, Dark Circles, and Bags

+1

The presence of hollows under the eyes and dark circles was not all that long ago very difficulty to treat. Surgical interventions to stretch the skin in the area, good for fine wrinkles and crinkles, often achieved the opposite effect by accentuating the hollows and shadowing.

Some fairly recent medical revelations have led to a radical shift in our approach. Physicians discovered that the hollows resulted largely from loss of fat volume in the area below the eyes due to shrinkage and gravitational sinking. They also discovered that either in large or part measure,  dark circles resulted from the fact that after the loss of the fat pad, the thin, delicate skin of the lower lid began to reflect the dark color of the small blood vessels and the muscles of facial expression immediately beneath it. These findings led to nonsurgical under eye rejuvenation.

By instilling a filler (I usually prefer Juvederm UltraXC, since it flows smoothly under the thin eyelid skin), you can restore the lost volume to raise the hollow and also brighten the darkness by placing the filler between the dark structures below and the skin. The technique usually takes no more than five minutes per lower eyelid and is relatively painless, since the filler is combined with a local anesthetic. The procedure is one of a number of nonsurgical techniques that usually elicits a "Wow!" from patients the minute they see themselves in the mirror immediately afterward (see link below).

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Under Eye Hollows, Non-Surgical Treatments

+1

This is an area that responds extremely well to volume fillers such as restylane or juvederm. Those are a great option for all patients, unless their issues are more pronounced. In those situations midface lifting or lower eyelid surgery is typically a better option.

At 15, I am sure you don't need surgical procedures. Some people just have congenitally less volume in that region, which causes the darkening your describe.

While there is not medical issue related to getting fillers at your age, I would not personally recommend it. The treatment is a little uncomfortable and has to be repeated yearly. I am personally very cautious in recommending cosmetic treatments to someone of your age unless it is nasal or ear correction.

Best of luck

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

We prefer fillers and a bit of fractional laser to tighten skin

+1

Seems like the use of fillers to touch up under eye depressions has become more mainstream than in the past. We like to use Radiesse,Juvaderm, or Restylane in these areas and treat any associated pigmentation with bleaching agents. The loose skin which can expose under eye blood vessels or muscle can also be tightened with ablative fractional laser skin rejuvenation.

Richard Gentile, MD
Youngstown Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treating Under the Eye Hollows, Dark Circles, or Tear Trough

+1

There are many ways to describe the dark circles under your eyes, including under the eye hollows or tear trough deformity. The simplest way to treat this would be to fill the sunken area. This can be achieved with a temporary filler (Restylane or Juvederm) or with a permanent filler (fat grafting). Any minor requires signed parental consent. From El Paso.

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Teenager with Dark Circles Under Eyes

+1

Dear antistar,

I think you may have answered your own question when you described how the dark circles go away when you take a picture in sunlight or with a flash.   

Before any injections or surgery, please meet with an aesthetician and go over some non-surgical ways to camouflage the appearance of your lower eyelids.    There are a variety of tricks with makeup that may take care of your concerns.   Most Facial Plastic Surgeons or Plastic Surgeons will have an aesthetician that they have in there office or can recommend one to you.

Best Wishes.

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers for under eye hollows

+1
Fillers are an excellent means of correcting under eye hollows. Off the shelf fillers are easy but not permanent. Fat is the most permanent and also relatively easy to do. I prefer blunt injectin canulae for both, as they are the safest. Make sure whoever you select for this has had significant experience injecting in this area.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon