Surgical or Non Surgical Options to Improve Upper Lip Scar on the Vermilion Border

are there possible options that may improve a scar I have on my upper lip. It is an old scar from a dog bite I recived when I was 4 years old. I am a 24 yr old female and I am quite frankly tired of people asking "what happened to your lip". I get a little insecure during face to face one on one conversations, because the lips are such a central area of focus and i find that many times my scar becomes distracting. even though it does not impact me functionally, internally i feel differently

Surgical or non-surgical options to improve upper lip scar on the vermilion border?

+2
Hello! Thank you for the question! It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.

With your scar several years prior, the appearance will likely not improve.  The vermilion border is one surgical landmark tat must be perfectly repaired, or the deformity is readily apparent at conversational distance.  A scar revision will certainly serve well to realign the vermilion border.  I think that nothing less than a surgical scar revision will improve the appearance at this point.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.

Hope that this helps!   Best wishes!

Revision Lip Surgery

+2

Your scar can be significantly improved through a combination of surgical and non-surgical techniques.  As a facial plastic surgeon, I work with a team that is highly specialized to deal with this kind of problem to best conceal the scarring in this area.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Vermillion Border Scar

+2

Based on the photo provided, I would recommend an incisional scar revision procedure to realign the vermillion border; this may involve simple excision, a z plasty, or other scar interruption technique .  The initial procedure may benefit from Dermabrasion (sanding down the skin) 6-8 weeks later.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar revision

+2

Your posted photo shows a step off in the lip margin along the scar. The lip margin to your right of the scar is higher than the margin to your left of the scar creating the step off. Although you cannot erase the scar you could improve its look by realigning these lip margins. That involves cutting the scar, shifting the lift side upward and suturing the edges of the incision together.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD