Non-surgical Remedies for Capsular Contracture Grade IV?

It began immediately after surgery in the breast I had radiation treatments in 10 yrs earlier. I have lupus, take heart medication for peripartum cardiomyopathy 4 yrs ago (ejection fraction normal now on meds), and my surgeon is reluctant to do surgery again on this breast even though it is lifted high and painful. I've been taking accolate, vitamin E, and I lay on hard surfaces which softens it temporarily only and still never drops. What can I do???

No answers for non-surgical treatment of Grade IV capsules

+2

With your medical health, it is reasonable not to expose you to any more attempts at implant reconsturction as they just will not work in the face of radiated tissues.  So, either have the implants out and do nothing, or leave them alone but stop all the medications as these can have liver damage side effects and they aren't going to fix the CC anyway.  Sorry for this tough situation!

Non-surgical modalities to treat capsular contracture

+1

There are relaly no effective non-surgical methods to treat capsular contracture that I know of.  There are preliminary studies with medications, but they are not long term or on large groups of patients.

No, there are not.

+1

There are not any non-surgical options for capsular contracture and every time you operate on the breast, there is a risk of contracture.  If it is painful, the best option is surgery.  Good luck!

Bivik Rajnikant Shah, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Treating Capsular Contracture

+1

While it would be nice and convenient if there were a non-surgical treatment for Grade IV capsular contracture, in all likelihood, you will require surgery for treatment.  Without seeing pictures or examining you in person, however, it is impossible to give you more specific advice.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

The remedy for a firm capsule after breast implants

+1

It is not clear whether you had sternal radiation for lupus, or radiation to the breast. Breast radiation dose have a high capsular contracture rate, and if you are very uncomfortable, you may have to consider lift without breast implants. Unfortunately there are not other nonsurgical offerings for a grade 4 (firm round and tender) capsular contracture. One of the better surgical alternatives would be repositioning the pocket, and using an allograft to reduce capsule formation. A gummy bear implant may also hold position and shape better in the presence of the capsule.

peterejohnsonmd

Non-Surgical Treatment of Capsular Contracture

+1

I have tried all the measures you have done and they do help but a grade 4 will in all liklihood require surgery.  I would think you would want to do the surgery in a hospital to minimize risk and probably do a capsulotomy and consider using alloderm.  You might want to consider an adjustable implant to stetch the capsule during the healing phase.  You should be aware that irradiated implants have a much higher capsular contracture rate and this is why I would use Alloderm.  Good luck.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Non-surgical treatment of Gr 4 capsular contracture - No

+1

Grade 4 capsular contracture should be treated surgically, to either release the contracture or remove the implant.

Contracture release can be done as a release by itself or with adjunct procedures to minimize recurrence.  This could mean repositioning of the implant into a new space or adding something like alloderm.

Sincerely, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD