Is It Possible to Get a Surgical Lip Lift and Full Rhinoplasty Done at the Same Time?

I have been considering having the two operations since my orthognathic surgery (upper jaw gummy smile and receeding chin fixed). I had a very gummy smile prior to the surgery, now my top lip covers all my front teeth when my mouth is open (relaxed). I have always wanted to have a straighter, smaller and more narrow nose as well. I was wondering if both of these operations can be performed at the same time? It would save me money to have both done in one operation.

Lip lift

+2

lip lift has been performed in conjunction with rhinoplasty in my practice with satisfying results. the rhinoplasty i perform is "closed" meaning no external incisions are made

an open rhinoplasty may compromise blood flow to the lower aspect of the columella and perhaps should be avioded if the two operations were planned at the same time

Elkton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Lift and Rhinoplasty at Same Time

+2

It depends on the technique used for each procedure. If the rhinoplasty is done using the open technique an incision is made in the columella (the strut between the nostrils) and the lip lift is done with an incision at the base of the nose the surgeon will isolate a small piece of skin between the two incisions. There would be a slight risk that this skin would slough. I had an identical surgery within the last month and decided not to do the lip lift.

Staging Rhinoplasty and Subnasal Lip Lift

+2

It would be safest to have a rhinoplasty and subnasal lip lift separated or staged. Done together there is some risk of skin necrosis in the intervenng columellar skin segment. When done separately, it does not make a difference as to how it is staged whether it is the nose or the lip first. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Rhinoplasty and lip lift.

+2

These operations can be done together but without seeing you I would be concerned about possible return of a gummy smile if too much lift was done.

Rhinoplasty and lip lift

+2

I would highly recommend staging those procedures (i.e. doing them at separate stages, months apart) as the lip lift may place excessive pressure on the bottom of the nose and alter healing.

The example below was done in 2 stages.

Sam Naficy, MD

Lip lift and rhinoplasty together?

+2

Both of these are great procedures I would  healing of the columella if an open rhinoplasty would be performed. In this case there might not be good circulation to the bottom part of the columella. This is assuming that the lip lift is performed at the base of the nose and not the type that raises the vermillion at it's border of the lip skin.

Ronald Schuster, MD

+1

Absolutely, there's no reason that any experienced Rhinoplasty Surgeon couldn't perform the Lip Lift procedure at the same time.  Be certain that the Rhinoplasty Surgeon, you select, understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of naturally, beautiful lips and nose.