Should I Wear Surgical Bra After Breast Augmentation?

My doctor told me not to wear any surgical bra. I'm going to have my breast implants surgery in 2 days and everybody I knew wore a surgical bra after surgery. However, my doctor to wear nothing but looseshirt for 3 weeks. Would you please tell me is that good or bad? Thank you very much.

Rationale for bra use

+7

Every instruction should have a purpose and rationale. Immediately post-op, a bra is usually used to protect the tissues, hold dressings in place, and prevent extra movement of the implants. Pain can be helped with the bra. However, some patients will have more discomfort with a tight bra pressing the surgical area and then the bra may not be helpful. If your surgeon thinks the implants will help stretch the soft tissues and needs the implants to settle, he might want the implants to "swing freely" and thus advise going without a bra. Also, your comfort level will have an nfluence as to whether or not a bra is recommended.

Surgical Bra after breast augmentation

+6
In my practice we always provide a surgical bra designed by a medical company specifically designed to be worn immediately after breast augmentation surgery. This is part of the recovery and it is included in the fee for breast augmentation surgery. 
I have provided a link to my before and after gallery

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Bra after Breast Augmentation by Dr Casper

+6

Not wearing a bra after augmentation is a HUGE mistake. Wearing a good support bra is not a substitute for precise surgical technique, but it allows the breast tissue and muscle to heal down properly around the implants. Capsular contracture has nothing to do with this. No support or lack of support after surgery leads to uneven implants and bottoming out. Both are avoidable. Check my results.

Daniel J. Casper, MD

Going Braless After Breast Augmentation is Best

+6

I have my patients go "bra-less" after the firts few days after Breast Augmentation.

My concern is that the bra will hold the implants in one position and that capsule will form and make the implants fell firmer.

ZI prefer that the implants be free to move freely and enlarge the naturally forming implant capsule. This will hopefully prevent capsular contracture in the future.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Surgical bra after breast augmentation

+6

There is not much of a consensus on this question. I personally have my patients use a knit cotton surgical bra for the first week after surgery. It clasps in the front and is easy to take on and off without having to raise your hands over your head. I think that it helps some with swelling and minimizes movement which can help with discomfort. I then have them find a sports bra that they are comfortable with after the first week. There really is no published data that indicates that what I suggest is right or wrong, but it works well for my patients. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Most do use a bra after surgery

+5

I do use a surgical bra after surgery and it is mainly to provide support and comfort which helps with pain control. Not all surgeons will have the same prefences, however. Also, not all patients do either. Although most patients like wearing the surgical bra and feel more supported with it on, some feel constricted and do better without any bra. So discuss with your surgeon what their routine is and adjust it to your preferences as well.

Bahram Ghaderi, MD

Surgical bra?

+4

After getting a breast augmentation, it is highly recommended to wear a surgical bra mostly for comfort and support. You will feel discomfort & pressure after the surgery, so the bra definitely helps. If you wear nothing but a t-shirt, the weight of the implants that you are not used to will make it more painful & uncomfortable.

Mel T. Ortega, MD

Bras after breast augmentation

+4

Thank you for your question. There is no consensus on the use of surgical bras after a breast augmentation. Some surgeons place every woman in a surgical bra, while others never use them. While every surgeon has reasons to believe that their choice is the right one, there has never been a definitive study that demonstrates if a bra is beneficial.

Personally, I place my patients in a light bra after the surgery to support the breasts. It seems to me that gentle support of the breasts would be more comfortable in the early recovery phase.

If you have concerns, I would ask your surgeon. He/She should be able to discuss their rational.

Best of luck with your breasts.

Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Wearing surgical bra after breast augmentation

+4

Excellent question which demonstrates just how much opinions diverge among us.

I personally see NO technical or medical scientific reason to use surgical bras in the immediate postoperative period with the vast majority of breast augmentations. My patients do not have dressings that need to be held on and they are MUCH more comfortable without bras (or the use of bandeaux). After all, why would ANYONE with freshly augmented breasts enjoy the additional pressure of a surgical bra on their sore, somewhat swollen breast?

I would allow it ONLY if the request came from the patient (especially with large implants) who states that SHE would feel more comfortable wearing a bra.

In summary, I think your surgeon right.

Good Luck.