Recently Broke my Nose, Should I Get this Fixed? (photo)

I recently broke my already strong nose (see larger bump on hump) and was contemplating having it minimally fixed (e.g., the hump removed, no tip rotation, but fixing tip to even out the now collapsed portion of my tip). My friends think that the proposed surgery is a "lateral move" and not worth my time or money. What do you think? Hint: If you can't already tell, the nose on the left is my current nose.

Decision to have rhinoplasty is a personal choice

+1

The decision to perform a rhinoplasty is a very personal decision that the patient needs to make for themselves and not for anyone else.  A recently broken nose can be reset and placed back to its normal anatomical straight position without performing any further cosmetic surgery.  This is typically billed to the patient’s insurance as long as there is documentation of a nasal fracture.  Any surgery to improve breathing through the nose is also billed to the patient’s insurance due to medical necessity.  Any removal of a hump or changing the nasal profile, is considered cosmetic surgery, and is to be paid for by the patient.

You are a great candidate for rhinoplasty - broken nose or otherwise.

+1

Hi clausina99;

I like what you showed on the images.  You are a very attractive lady, but you have:

•    Too high a bridge
  •    A bump
  •    Certainly the "after" is a considerable improvement

I agree with you that the hump should be removed.  There need not be any tip rotation.  If your tip has collapsed a little bit, that will have to be looked at as to the exact cause.  Frankly, it is always a little dangerous to tell the public if a nose should be done.  What your friends think is not important.  It is what you think.  After all, you are the owner.  It is your nose.  Changing your nose is not going to change their life, but it will probably change your life.  At least that is what I hear from patients.  They are happy that they did their nose.  By the way, I too was a patient.  I had my nose done, and it was one of the best things I have ever done. 

I would encourage you to at least have consultation with an experienced nasal cosmetic surgeon to find out what can or cannot be done.  After that, the decision is yours.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON
Author, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Robert Kotler, MD

Is rhinoplasty worth it?

+1

What really matters is whether the hump and tip issues bother you enough to have surgery. The proposed changes in the photos you submitted are fairly significant so I would expect the result to be more than a lateral move. I wouldn't dwell too much on your friends opinion. It's your nose.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Should I FIx My Broken Nose?

+1

Only you can answer your question; no surgeon, friend, or member of your family should have anything to say about it. During consultation your surgeon can explain alternative techniques, what can be done, and establish reasonable expectations. Your pictures show that the physical appearance can be improved, but is that important enough to you to spend the time and money? Your choice!

Recently Broke y Nose, Should I Get this Fixed?

+1

Aesthetically speaking, the nose is improved signficantly by removing the dorsal hump and refining the nasal tip. Asking non experts their opinions are always fraught with issues IMHO.  Be sure the Rhinoplasty Surgeon, you select, understands and follows the proper aestrhetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive nose.  Only you can decide if you're interested in improving the appearance of your nose.

Rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty is a personal choice. Minor tweaks are certainly possible to soften a look and improve the aesthetics.  Good luck in your choice.

It is your choice

+1

Having your nose fixed is an individual choice. One does not need to have an awful nose to get a rhinoplasty. The better the surgeon, the more subtle the changes can be provided to give you a better looking nose that fits your face. After a well done rhinoplasty, you should still look like yourself, just an improved version.

Go for a consultation, you have nothing to lose.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD