How Do I Know if Surgery is Right for Me?

I am 5'4', 130 lbs, and currently 32a. I have been thinking off and on about breast augmentation since I was a teen. Now that I am 23 I know my breasts aren't going to grow anymore and I just want my chest and shape to be more rounded and womanly. How do I decide if this is something that bothers me enough to pursue? I have been thinking about it a lot recently.

Elective surgery

+1

The decision to undergo elective cosmetic surgery is a personal one.  A board-certified plastic surgeon can provide you with the information you need to make an informed decision.  But in the end, the decision is solely yours.

Breast augmentation

+1

It really is a personal choice to decide whether or not you want breast augmentation and no one else  should make that decision for you.

Only You Can Decide Appropriateness of Augmentation

+1

No one but you can decide whether or not a breast augmentation is the right choice for you.  This is a very individual decision which must be made by you rather than a husband, boyfriend, etc..  A consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon can help you make this choice.  He/she can discuss the potential benefits and risks with you.  It sounds as if you are a good candidate for an augmentation.

John Whitt, MD

Deciding to have Cosmetic Surgery

+1

This problem is like every other decision in life. You simply weigh the advantages against the disadvantages (pros vs cons or benefits vs risks) and decide to proceed if the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. With surgery, you have to weigh the risks of surgery against how it will improve your self-image, etc. You are the only one who can decide the latter. However, a Plastic Surgeon is the only one who can evaluate you and your health and tell you what the risks are. Therefore, to answer your question, you need a consultation with a Plastic Surgeon. After that, you should be able to answer your question yourself.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Choosing to have surgery

+1

Only you know if surgery is a good option for you.  I would suggest going to a few consultations to see if you are a good / appropriate candidate for surgery.  If you are, then you can decide if you want to have surgery.  No one NEEDS to have surgery.  Cosmetic surgery is elective and you can take your time and use all your resources available to decide what to do.  If you post pictures, we may be able to give you opinions on which procedures you might consider.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD