How common is death during Rhinoplasty surgery? (photo)

I am 14 years old and getting a MINOR nose job I am not nervous at all right now but come the day before surgery I know that will totally change I don't care about pain or worry about results what so ever. I am only scared of the actual procedure because I have never had surgery before. I am healthy and not allergic to medications that I know of I want to know if in you opinion for me is death a possibility how common is it to die during rhinoplasty? I have an AMAZING doctor in NYC if that helps

Death during rhinoplasty is far less common than death on the highway.

+1
Dear BrooklynB:

I know you have concerns about the surgery because I addressed some other issues in a previous post.

With a specific request about the risk of death during rhinoplasty: it is very minimal, so minimal that it should be the least of your concerns really. There are several reasons why. First, you are young and healthy. Secondly, if you follow my and other doctors' advice, you will have thenoperation done in a certified or accredited surgical facility that has in place full safety standards. You should have a board-certified doctor anesthesiologist taking care of you, because that is the specialist who is in charge of your pulse, heartbeat and all other bodily functions, which is the key to successful anesthetic.

Everything in life has a matter of probability. There is a risk of being hit by lightening on a golf course, and that is pretty rare, but the chances are better than winning the California lottery. Other comparative risks include driving a car. Traveling in a car has greater risk per mile than traveling in an airplane. Likewise, airplane travel and rhinoplasty are safer than driving on highways or freeways.

If your doctor is top-notch, he will have a response to all your concerns.You should always speak with the anesthesiologist the night before the surgery. Frankly, that is my practice. I want patients to be comfortable and feel good beginning the night before the surgery so they have a good night's rest before the procedure.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Over 4,500 nasal procedures performed
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON
Author, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Death from surgery is extremely rare

+1
For healthy patients undergoing elective (non-emergency) surgery, death from surgery or anesthesia is extremely rare. As long as your rhinoplasty is being performed in a safe, accredited surgical center or hospital, with a board certified Anesthesiologist and Plastic Surgeon or Facial Plastic Surgeon, your risks should be minimal. Thank you for sharing your concerns. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD