331cc vs. 371cc - I'm Having Trouble Choosing

I'm Having Surgery Soon and Having Trouble Choosing Between 331 and 371 Ccs. I Am a Full B Now. I lost a full cup size with the weight loss and plan to lose another 5-10 lbs. I want to be a bit discreet with the enhancement and am worried the 371 is a bit much for me.

40cc's Not Likely To Be The Difference Between Too Large and Just Right

+2

Oftentimes, women get stuck between two sizes that are quite close.

Remember:implants placed under the muscle will look about 10% smaller than they do when you try them on.

40cc is about 2-1/2 tablespoons.

40cc is not likely to make the difference between just right and too big.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Communicate with your surgeon

+2
This is an important decision but I encourage my patients to think in terms of a limited range of volume not a specific number. The look you desire is far more important than the cc volume of the implant. I clearly define the breast aesthetic my patients desire before surgery and achieve that in the operating room using sizers. We will always fall within a small volume range but I do not commit to a specific volume.
Communicate with your surgeon. Bring photos of breasts you like but also of breasts you do not like.Profile views of the breast are the most helpful. Also look at the before and after photos your surgeon presents. Make sure you share the same breast aesthetic.
Good luck.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Implant Selection Process

+1

This depends on what size you desire longterm.  If small D or less, 331cc.  If D cup or larger, 371 cc.    In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Tough time deciding between two breast implants

+1

This is not the proper place for making that decision but the fact that you are wavering between the two would suggest to me that you would be happier with the 371 cc gel implant because you are likely to lose breast volume with weight loss.

Choosing breast implant volume

+1

A can of soda (12 oz.) has 355cc,  40cc (a big gulp) will hardly be noticed. In cases of a tight decision, always pick the larger size. I've never had anyone return to the office and said "I should have picked the smaller size". If you go smaller the next time you try on a shirt the same little voice that is creating a little doubt now, will be screaming at you. All over 40cc.

Jose M. Soler-Baillo, MD

331cc vs. 371cc

+1

I always recommend the larger size. But the final decision is yours NOT us internet doctors who do not know you or have seen a posted photo. 

Choosing the right breast implant

+1

The choice of implant is made during consultation with your surgeon.  A 50 cc difference in volume is not a big difference and if you are losing more weight, you  may be better off with the larger implant.

How to pick breast implants.

+1

1) This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2) It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3) Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4) Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy. The most common mistake is to go too big.

5) I recommend that the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6) The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7) Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8) Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating roon inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast augmentation

+1

Breast implant surgery is not like buying clothing. You can't order a specific size. Although the surgeon can make some estimates as to final breast size he/she will always be off. This is due to the fact that breasts are made up of variable quantities of fat & breast gland that compress to variable degrees from the pressure of an implant. The 40cc difference is so small that they difference will be barely noticeable to the external viewer.

Aaron Stone, MD