Estimated Surgery Time for Breast Augmentation and Thigh Liposuction?

I have had one surgeon and they said 2 hours and another said 4 hrs. I am wondering why such a difference? I am nervous about anesthesia. I have two small kids.

A "stitch in time"

+1

You may get various ranges in time when you ask different surgeons.  Some surgeon operate a slightly faster pace, and different techniques may take longer.  The bottom line you need to decide the surgeon you trust and forward from that point.

Take care.

Surgery time depends on the surgeon

+1

Some surgeons are very fast, some are slower; speed does not determine how good a surgeon is. Also some surgeons work in centers where surgery time is charged by increments. In this case, the time quote you are given may be on the higher side, to avoid having you get a balance bill if the case goes longer than 2 hours. If a surgeon works in his office OR, he does not have to worry about charging you more if he takes longer than he originally told you. A range of 2-4 hours is reasonable for the procedures you are planning.

Most importantly, you should know that if you are healthy and the surgery is being done in a certified operating room with board certified anesthesiologists and by a board certified plastic surgeon, your risk from surgery should be very low, even if you need 4 hours of surgery. Choose the surgeon with whom you are most comfortable.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Time of surgery for breast augmentation and liposuction

+1

The time for surgery will depend on many factors, a good estimate for this two procedures is 3 hours, however there is no question that the chance of complications is directly related to the time of surgery. When talking to the surgeon ask him/her to explain how the conclusion of time was reached.

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Surgery time for breast augmentation and thigh liposuction

+1

There are twelve EXCELLENT responses to this question prior to mine.  For the most part, speed does not necessarily equal quality,   You should look to have your surgery performed by someone who you feel comfortable with and who has a portfolio you like.  If you are concerned about the length of the combined operation but like your surgeon then consider breaking them up into two separate operations.  A solid physician-patient relationship is far more important than how qucikly they can get you off the table.

Breast augmentation can be as simple as making a pocket and placing the implant or it can be a series of trial sizers to pick the perfect size.  It may or may not involve removal of excess skin  which can significantly lengthen the time of the operation.  In general though, for the most straightforward of breast augmentations, times of 50-120 minutes aren't unreasonable.

Liposuction of the thighs, as already pointed out, can mean different things to different people.  Is it medial thigh? lateral thigh?  Can the physician accomplish the procedure without having to reposition the patient?  Repositioning and reprepping can add 30-45 minutes on to the procedure depending on the staff available.

Barry Stuart Handler, MD

Breast augmentation & liposuction take time to be done well

+1

When undergoing surgery, the most important thing is to realize that the goal is to do it right the 1st time. Every time you do surgery, the cost is about the same for each procedure and the risk increase, so do not judge the surgeon on the time it takes, judge them on the quality of the results they show. Be wary of saving $1000 because one doctor can do the surgery 1 or 2 hours quicker because if you have to do the surgery over, you will spend 2x as much. Get a 3rd opinion if necessary.

I personally take more time than most as I am very detail oriented. I never "preselect" implants. I order in several sizes and sizers for the day of surgery and take as much time as needed to try and get the size to match the photos the patient's brings in of breast that are "just right". The reason is, every person's tissue quality is different and some will need more fill to create the same look.

Regarding liposuction, the risk of having irregularities is minimized by smaller cannulas and taking the time to detail the little fat pockets. Smaller cannulas equate to more time. The addition of the laser in Smart Lipo may also have a significant effect on end results and this will double the time of the procedure. Budget if necessary but take the steps necessary to try and get the best result done the 1st time. Not only will you be happier but you very well may save money in the long run. Good luck!

Kimberley O'Sullivan, MD
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

The length of time required for surgery will vary with the surgeon

+1

Hi there-

The reason you have gotten different time estimates is that surgeons vary in their techniques, and in the pace at which they operate.

This does not necessarily mean one is better than another, but if the outcomes they achieve are equivalent, you will be safer in the hands of the surgeon who can do the job in less time, as the risks associated with anesthesia are mostly related to the length of the operation.

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples, and that the outcomes you are being offered are equivalent in your eyes.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Time for breast augmentation and thigh liposuction

+1

Two hours is a relatively short time to accomplish both and four hours is relatively long but not if that includes liposuciton of the inner and outer thighs and hips.

Estimated surgery time for Breast Augmentation and thigh Liposuction

+1

The best answer is to give you a range from 2 hours to 3 hours at most. Discuss your concerns with the operating surgeon to alleviate these anesthesia issues. Regards.

Time for a Breast Augmentation / Thigh Liposuction

+1

The time under anesthesia depends on what exactly needs to be done. Obviously, liposuctioning the thighs of a 170 pounds 6 foot woman would take longer than those of a 5'3' 130 pound woman. Personally, I think anyone who says he/she can do a breast augmentation and liposuction of the thighs in 2 hours is either exaggerating / fibbing or operating too fast and cutting corners (no pun intended). A surgery should take what it should take to do a great job.

Surgical speed was needed before the introduction of anesthesia in 1847; These days while efficient surgery is to be respected, fast surgery with average to poor results (to allow stuffing more cases per day and generate more income) is to be avoided.

Pick a board certified surgeon you trust (check www.Plasticsurgery.org) and you WILL get the results you want.

+1

The time estimate really depends on your surgeon and the amount of liposuction you need to have done. Some surgeons need 2 hours for a breast augmentation, others require only 1 hour. If your second surgeon was proposing more liposuction than your first surgeon, this would alter the time estimate. I recommend calling both surgeons and clarifying the time estimate, which will allow you to make a more informed choice. Best wishes, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS