Is surgery the only hope? (Photo)

I'm 39 years old and I maintain a good routine about taking care of my skin, sunblock , serums with antioxidant , ect ,but my skin is staring to sag enormously in the neck area.I recently lost around 6-8 pounds and I usually show it on my face.

Is surgery the only hope?

+2
Hello and thank you for your question.
The photo you have provided is very limited. Unfortunately I can not make out how much excess skin may or may not be present. In general, when the excess is severe, a neck lift is required. I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to get more specific answers to your questions which can best be addressed after a thorough history and examination is performed.
Best of luck to you!

Neck Lift

+1
I don't see a lot of sagging in the photo you posted.  I do see some vertical banding.  You may want to consider Botox for that.  See a BC PS in your area.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Plastic surgery is the only method to correct neck bands

+1
Thank you for your question.  Although nonsurgical methods can achieve approximately 22% of the skin tightening achieved with a neck lift only a surgical procedure called a platysmaplasty can tighten and improve the neck bands.  The neck bands are folds in a muscle called the platysma muscle that is under the skin in your neck.  These bands must be directly tightened and excess trimmed away to eliminate the bands are folds that you see on your neck.  Please consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in neck lift surgery and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Is surgery the only hope?

+1
There are several modalities to treat the neck before considering surgery. You are on the right path by using sunblock and other products. You might consider skin resurfacing procedures. Additionally, treating your prominent neck muscle with a neurotoxin may give your neck a smoother look. 

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Options for Improving Your Neck

+1
From your photo it is difficult to be sure just what is causing the problem with your neck, so I can only offer general information.  Surface changes in the quality of neck skin are usually related to sun exposure, smoking (environmental changes) and genetics.  These changes in color and rough texture can be helped by chemical peeling and certain light fraxel laser treatments, or intense pulsed light (IPL).  If there actually is loose skin sagging and wrinkling, than some type of neck lift will be needed to firm and smooth the neck skin and improve the neck contour.  Occasionally,  there is looseness and sagging of neck muscles under the chin without any significant skin looseness around the neck, and improved neck contour can be achieved just by a minimal procedure under the chin to tighten the muscles.  Also, if someone has extra fullness due to fat , usually in the front of the neck, then liposuction may create a sharper angle to the neck without any skin tightening needed.  You should seek out a plastic surgeon experienced in cosmetic neck surgery to analyze your condition and listen to your concerns.  He or she could then offer you the best options to improve your neck.

Richard G. Schwartz, MD

Sagging and aging 39-year-old neck

+1
It is acceptable to try some of the radio frequency tightening devices for the neck skin as well as some Botox injections into the anterior platysmal bands. If that fails, consideration for a lower face/neck lift to tighten the skin and muscles for a more permanent result.

Surgery???

+1
Most likely yes but I might try ThermiSmooth RF to see if the RF tightens your neck issues non invasively.. Fee from $800 per session... 

Consider non-surgical alternatives

+1
Get 2 or 3 consults with plastic surgeons that not only do surgery but also do noninvasive or minimally invasive techniques.  For someone your age, there are many options.  Botox to the platysma bands can help.   A Surgiwire technique is also helpful for platysma bands.   Precision Tx can give some tightening to the neck with a minimally invasive procedure.  Noninvasive tightening with Ulthera might help, which is probably a better option than Titan or Thermage. 

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Sagging skin in neck

+1
It is difficult to evaluate you fully with the picture of your neck that you provided, but there may be some other non-surgical treatments that could help with the sagging skin in your neck area.  Surgery can sometimes help, but it is possible that Ultherapy could provide some improvement to your neck.  You would need to be examined to determine the best course of treatment however. 

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon