What Surgery is Suitable to Correct my Eye Lids? (photo)

i have been to the doctors and they have examined it and said i have a mild ptosis condition.it does not affect my eye sight.i just want to lift my eye lids and reduce the upper eye lid space.Will that happen by performing a ptosis surgery?i can open my eyes wide & i did it to see how i look when the surgery is done but there is still alot of my upper eye lid visible as you can see in pic number 2. i want my lids to look like pic no.3 when i open them. which surgery will help me achieve this? :)

Yes you have upper eyelid ptosis.

+2

Hi Emily

I would say that you have more than mild ptosis.  The left side is more noticeable.  However both upper eyelids are ptotic and most likely you need both sides surgically corrected.  An oculoplastic surgeon can assess you to determine the best surgical approach.  There is a test call the neosynepherine test, where this drop is instilled into the eyes.  If you respond, then your surgeon will know that you are a candidate for a posterior approach conjunctival Mueller muscle resection, which is also known as a muellerectomy.  If you don't respond then an anterior approach levitator resection ptosis surgery might be appropriate.  These surgeries are commonly performed by oculoplastic surgeons.  You should look for someone who is fellowship trained.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery has a geographic directory that can help you find a highly qualified surgeon in your area (asoprs dot org).

Opening eyes

+2

Yes, what you desire is upper lid ptosis surgery. That effectively lifts your upper eyelids and open yours eyes more. See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Dr Taban

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid ptosis repair will decrease upper eyelid space

+2

Dear Emily: The distance between your eyelids and brow will decrease when surgery is done to raise the upper eyelids [ptosis repair]. However, I do not believe that it will achieve what your are looking for in the illustration you have provided [pic. no.3]. The amount of space visibe between the eyelids and the brow is also determined by the underlying bony anatomy. In patients with smaller orbits [eye sockets] the distance between the brow and eyelid margin is less, which is the situation in the illustration 3.   Ptosis surgery will get you closer to that scenario, but I doubt it will get you all the way there.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid Ptosis Surgery

+2

If you have been diagnosed as having mild eyelid ptosis, there are surgical procedures to correct it. typically, a connective tissue structure under the eyelid skin and muscle is tightened to allow for better eyelid opening. It would be best to discuss specifics with your surgeon.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Blepharoptosis - drooping upper eyelids

+1

Yes you do have ptosis of both upper eyelids and ptosis surgery on the upper eyelids can help significantly. However, the bone sockets that your eyeballs sit in are very asymmetric with the right much larger than the left. No amount of eyelid surgery can change that and you will always have some asymmetry.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery. Most of the scar tissue that arises is formed in these areas of tissue plane separation. The same applies to breast implants where most of the scar is really around the implant.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Suitable surgery for your eyelids

+1

Yes, you have bilateral, asymmetric eyelid ptosis.  Yes, it can be corrected.  Yes, you will look better if it is AND you probably will also appreciate the benefits of an expanded visual field.  But unfortunately, no, you probably cannot look like picture #3, not even with surgery by an excellent oculofacial plastic surgeon.  But I can't look like Tom Cruise either.  I say have the ptosis repair, then consider fat or fillers to get you closer to #3.  Good luck.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon