Can I have surgery if I had a stroke 6 years ago?

I"m 56 147 lbs 5*8 and I am not in fantastic health however I do exercise 3 times a week I have a stroke but my blood pressure is leveling out I want to have a TT and a face lift is it safe for me? also I was diagnosed with diabetes valentines' day 2014 I really need a reputable and fabulous cosmetic surgeon

TT

+1

To best help you, a physical examination or picture evaluation is required in order to determine which procedure and technique will be best for your case.

Dr. Campos

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Stroke

+1
The answer to your question lies in the answering the question: What caused your stroke?
If, for instance, you had atrial fibrillation (an irregular heart rhythm) and you still have it, you would be at a significantly higher risk of having another stroke or heart attack after surgery. If, on the other hand, you had a single congenital blood vessel abnormality, which was treated at the time of your stroke, you probably have no increased risk. These are only two examples of the many possible causes of stroke. I have operated on patients with histories of stroke many times, but I have also advised others not to proceed. 
A qualified, experienced plastic surgeon, certified by the ABPS, will consult with your internist and neurologist and/or cardiologist so he/she can advise you on the risks and alternatives.

John Strausser, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

+1
If medical clearance can be obtained based upon more specific information and examination, elective surgery can be considered.

#Cosmetic Surgery With Medical Problems

+1
There is a lot that goes in to making the decision that a person is a good candidate for a cosmetic operation.  In a case like yours, with a few very significant medical problems, a very open and honest conversation needs to be had with a surgeon you like and trust.  If you look long enough, you will most certainly find someone willing to operate on you regardless of your history or your motivations but that may or may not be in your best interest.  If you have a few consultations and keep hearing "no" because of your issues, it may be worth listening.
Dr. Pyle

Jeremy Pyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Not great health and wanting big surgery

+1
Hi Carla

Sorry to hear about your significant health issues.  I am not sure if you are a candidate for surgery or not.  This is something that has to be decided only through physical exam, and history, consultation with you and your other treating physicians.  There are a number of reasons for a stroke, and not all would preclude elective surgery.

Diabetes is a contrindication for surgery, but not an absolute deal breaker.  Again, each case must be examined on its on merits.

I want to correct you.  Stay from "cosmetic surgeons:, as this could include dentists, orthopedic surgeons, gyns, etc.  Only consider most excellent Board Certified Plastic Surgeons.

If you are to have surgery, all of your health issues would have to be optimized/controlled and you would have to be cleared by your other doctors.  You would have to also understand that you are at increased risk for most complications and all would have to weight that into the decision.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Surgery Candidate

+1
If you have a history of a stroke, high blood pressure and diabetes, your plastic surgeon will most likely request medical clearance from your primary care doctor.  You will have to be medically optimized for surgery which would include good blood pressure control, tight blood sugar control and make sure you don't need any further intervention to prevent another stroke or cardiac event.  You may even consider doing a facelift and tummy tuck at different times to minimize complications.  Good luck!

Eugene Kim, MD

Safety in Plastic Surgery

+1
You have to know that safety is priority and nobody would risk your life for a PS. 
So it will be mandatory to have a clearance for your doctor about the stroke, high blood pressure and diabetes. 
Then because of the illnesses as background the surgery has to be moderate (non aggressive) and short (in time under anesthesia) to avoid risk of complications. 
just listen to the red flags. Your life is very important 
Dr. Cardenas

Laura Carmina Cardenas, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon