Will Breast Surgery Before Facelift Revision Slow Healing?

As I turned 45, I decided to have a facelift followed by a small breast augmentation. I had the FL 6-11 with a board certified PS. The FL results have been extremely disappointing. I have identified a new surgeon to perform a FL revision around 6-12. The new surgeon wants my hypertropic scars from the original FL to have fully healed prior to proceeding. Question: If I proceed with the BA now, could this significantly slow my healing and “disqualify” me from having the revision FL ASAP?

Timing of facelift revision and BA

+1

Proceeding with a breast augmentation should not slow the healing and maturing of your facelift scars. It is good to wait on the facelift scars until they are ready to be revised. Listen to your plastic surgeon for the timing of scar revision. I hope this helps.

Facelift Revision and Breast Augmenatation can be done together but wait 6 months for Hypertrophioc Scars to mature

+1

I think your surgeon is very wise to recommend waiting.

Hypertrophic Scars are very metabolically active and to revise them before they have "settled down' could end up making them worse after your revision.

I doubt that this would impact your Breast Augmentation but no one knows for sure whether an active Hypertrophic Scar in one area of the body could impact new scar formation after the Breast Augmentation.

New 1540 Erbium Laser treatments can speed resolution of the Hypertrophic Scars.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Timing of Facelift and Breast Augmentation

+1

As long as your health is good and you recovered well from your last procedure there is no reason you cannot have a breast augmentation prior to your facelift revision.  It might even be possible to do them on the same day. 

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Timing of multiple surgeries

+1

In general it is a good idea to allow for full healing between multiple surgeries.  If you have 6 weeks between your breast augmentation and the facelift revision you should have no issue.  The reason we like to give the body a few weeks to recover between surgeries, when practical, is simply to allow for your system to return to normal before additional insults.  Most people can handle surgeries close together without incident, and we will occasionally have to perform multiple surgeries over a short period of time for various reasons, but it is seldom an ideal situation.  Having said that, surgery on your breast should not effect the healing from the revision facelift, should you have to do the second surgery sooner than six weeks after the first.  You may just have a harder time getting back to feeling 100%.

Leif L. Rogers, MD, FACS

Breast surgery should have no impact on planned face lift

+1

The performance of your breast surgery should have no impact on the healing, etc. of your planned face lift procedure to be scheduled for June 2012. So, don't worry! 

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast Augmentation will not Affect Healing form a Facelift

+1

Hi there- 

You should be able to proceed with confidence that your breast augmentation will not in any way affect your ongoing facelift healing.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Facelift and breast augmentation

+1

i routinely do these operations together..  there are no delays in healing ,  just more areas that are uncomfortable

It is less expensive and easier to heal from one operation rather than split it into two.

+1

Thank you for your question.  There is no problem doing the breast augmentation right now.  It will not affect the second facelift surgery.  I do agree to wait a year prior to second facelift surgery.  One last option would be to wait until June and do both procedures at the same time.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

No relation between the two

+1
It is definitely a good idea to wait the full year for the secondary facelift. If you are planning to have the facelift in June 2012, there is no reason you could not proceed with a breast augmentation now as you will be fully recovered in 1 month. An important question is why you developed hypertrophic scars in the first place as they are not that common on the face. One concern would be the possibility that you have a tendancy to form abnormal scars and it is possible that you may form them with your breast surgery.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation affecting a Facelift Procedure?

+1

I am sorry that your Facelift results have been disappointing.  Having your breast augmentation will not affect the possibility of having your facelift revision or affect the outcome of that procedure.

Dr.ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS