Would I need to get surgery to get rid of this excess loose stomach fat? (photo)

I had a child 6 months ago ,,

Would I need to get surgery to get rid of this excess loose stomach fat?

+1
    A tummy tuck would be a good choice to help improve the look of the abdomen presented in the picture.

Tummy tuck to remove loose tummy skin after pregnancy

+1
Thank you for your question.  If you are finished having children and you may consider a tummy tuck to remove the loose skin and possibly tighten or close any separation of the muscles caused by your pregnancy.

Please consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in tummy tuck surgery and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck after Childbirth

+1
Thank you for your question. Based on your photos alone, it appears that you don't have excess loose stomach fat, it is in fact excess loose skin. In addition, pregnancy causes the abdominal muscles to spread apart. Surgery in the form of a full tummy tuck would improve both of these issues. If you are finished childbearing and wish to pursue this, then you should schedule a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has extensive experience doing abdominoplasty. Best of luck to you and congratulations on the new baby.

Mark Deutsch, MD

Loose skin in lower abdomen after pregnancy - do I require surgery?

+1
Thank you very much for your question and including your photograph. I have reviewed the photograph and it doesn’t look like you have too much fat on your stomach. The main problem seems to be slightly loose skin and a separation of the tummy muscles on the front of the abdomen.

These muscles are called the rectus abdominis and from your picture it looks as if you have a depression around your tummy button running up and down. This is caused by separation of the muscles most often caused following pregnancy. 

I don’t think liposuction would be suitable for you and in my opinion the best approach would be a mini or a full tummy tuck combined with repair of the muscles.

I hope you find this information useful and good luck if you do decide to go ahead with treatment.

Adrian Richards, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Loose Abdominal Skin after Having a Baby

+1
The only reasonable thing that corrects loose abdominal skin after having a baby is a tummy tuck.It will tighten the muscle as well as the skin and, if necessary, remove excess fat.Do not do this, however, unless you are finished having children, as further children will again cause loose skin.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

An abdominoplasty would be the best choice

+1
With your degree of skin laxity an abdominoplasty would be your best option.  This would help with the loose skin of the abdomen as well as a tightening of the anterior abdominal wall.  

Tummy tuck

+1
It is difficult to advise whether a full or mini tummy tuck would be best from attached photos.

As others have answered here, a mini tuck primarily address skin laxity and sometimes abdominal laxity below the belly button. It doesn't do much for looseness or muscle laxity above the bellybutton. A full tummy tuck handles this area better.

There are other variations that are less well-known depending upon your goals and time for recovery.

For example a full tummy tuck can be done without muscle repair for the appropriate patient.

A full muscle tightening can be done with a mini tummy tuck skin excision or sometimes with no skin excision.

There are more extensive kinds of abdominoplasty that remove even more skin in patients with massive weight loss and severe laxity

The best way to approach this would be to learn which option would best fulfill your needs.

A board-certified plastic surgeon can help go over the options with you and address your goals.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Not loose stomach fat--loose stomach skin!

+1
You look as if you lost your post-baby weight quite nicely! Congratulations! But the loose SKIN remains.

To tighten and remove the extra skin (and a bit of remaining fat with it), a full tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) with muscle repair is recommended. A "mini" will NOT do the job, though there are surgeons who may try to "sell you" on the lower cost, the smaller incision, less pain, quick recovery, etc. What they invariably fail to tell you is that the results are "mini" as well, and will not deal with that wrinkled skin around the belly button. You still have to undergo surgery, healing, and whatever time off is required, yet all-too-often have to then undergo the "real" tummy tuck you really needed in the first place.

The above bad scenario is usually avoided by consulting only with ABPS-certified plastic surgeons experienced in tummy tucks. It's usually the Derm "cosmetic surgeons" or ENTs or OB/Gyn doctors masquerading as plastic surgeons who recommend the smaller procedures when what is really required is a full tummy tuck!

These doctors may also try to tell you that laser liposuction will remove the "loose fat" and tighten the skin from beneath. Or that regular liposuction will allow the skin's "natural elasticity" to tighten after fat removal. You have very little fat here, and the skin has already been stretched by pregnancy. It will NOT tighten on its own.

There will also be a few doctors (or spa people) who might try to sell you on ultrasonic, RF (radio frequency), or other non-surgical treatments designed to "tighten" loose or wrinkled skin. These all "work," but usually to an abysmally poor degree. That's the same as "Waste of Money!"

See one or more ABPS-certified plastic surgeons and get advice about a full tummy tuck. This will give you the best outcome possible with one operation! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon