What Surgery Would You Reccommend for Large Nostils? Also to Make my Nose Smaller?

I have heard of the weir technique but wanted to know if that's all I would need to make my nostrils smaller and nose more defined.I want to at all cost avoid the Michael Jackson nose.

Large Nostrils in African American Noses

+3

This is the most common problem seen in out of balance African American noses I perform rhinoplasty on. A well performed ethno-sensitive rhinoplasty that celebrates your ethnic beauty and does not erase it is crucial. You should research many many before after images of noses (not necessarily just African American, but also Hispanic and Asian that have  had nostrils shaped) on your potential surgeon's website.  Shaping ethnic noses is a major skill and talent and an art. To do it naturally takes expertise and knowledge of techniques that do not produce a fake looking nose. Hopefully the video and link below will help even more. REMEMBER many patients travel out of state to have this procedure done because you want to be confident that your surgeon is the right one not just the closest one.  Good luck. Dr Ashkan Ghavami

Rhinoplasty

+2

I agree, you want to avoid the overdone nose like MJ had.  You need to evaluate the nostrils in the context of your face.  Take your picture, print it and draw a line down from the inside of the eyes on each side.  If the nostrils fall outside of these lines, they can be considered to be too wide.  Next, if they are wide, you need to decide three things: are the openings large or small?  Is the fleshy part the reason the nostrils are wide?  Or, are the openings large and the fleshy parts large so that BOTH need to be addressed.  Each finding requires a different approach, so be sure to find an experience surgeon to avoid the overdone look you are cautious to avoid.  All the best,  "Dr. Joe"

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Weir Technique

+1

"Alar base modification" also known as weir excisions are the primary way of addressing glaring nostrils. However, the tip also needs to be addressed to create balance and harmony. The technique for weir incisions are extremely important to avoid stigmata of surgery.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

African American Rhinoplasty and Weir Excision for Wide Nostrils

+1

You are correct, Weir excision of the base of the ala can make the nostrils smaller and less wide.  Care should be taken in performing this reduction, as excessive excision can make the tip of the nose look relatively larger.  This situation can be avoided by also reducing the size and width of the nasal tip, by  reducing the size of the lower lateral cartilage in the nasal tip.  Both of these procedures can be done under local anesthesia with sedation, and thus, will be less costly than a rhinoplasty performed under general anesthesia.  Best Wishes. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

African American rhinoplasty question.

+1

Weir excision is a technique used to narrow the base of the nose.  You are a candidate for african american rhinoplasty.  Looking at your photo  you could consider  alar base reduction "weir excision", narrowing your nasal tip, and possibly "augmention" or raising your nasal bridge.  If performed by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon you could expect a natural but sigificant result from rhinoplasty.

Philip Solomon, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surgery to make large nostrils smaller

+1

Weir excisions are simply alarplasty incisions made at the base of the nostril sill to reduce the size of the nostril hole.  This only makes the nostril smaller and does not do anything else for the remainder of the nose.  

Nostril Reduction in African American Nose

+1

The 'Weir' incision is just one of a number of differently designed incisions to alter the size or shape of the nostrils. It has become used to represent any and all incisions made in the nostrils. Nostrils may be modified to narrow them, shorten them, reduce a large alar lobule or a combination of all of these modifications. However, nostril modification does not really alter the shape of the tip of the nose. If you wish that to be narrowed as well, other techniques would need to be added. This is important since altering one portion of your nose may make another portion look larger. It is important to keep the nose balanced and in proportion. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Making Large Nostrils Small with Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi 1987n,

Thank you for your question and photograph. Yes, a Weir technique is one method to narrow the nostrils of African Americans by removing extra skin. External stitches are removed around a week after the procedure. This procedure alone may possibly be performed via local anesthesia in the office. However, typically for a nose the be more refined, a rhinoplasty of the entire tip and bridge may need to be performed.

Neither plastic surgeons nor patients want to have the nose appear operated on, and your surgeon will help determine appropriate options for you. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can he/she help determine what may be good choices. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Weir technique for large nostrils

+1

You are correct, the Weir excisions are used to reduce the size of large nostrils. They can be designed to remove just soft tissue or even make the nostril opening smaller. If done as an isolated procedure, it may be performed under local anesthesia.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reducing large nostrils

+1

Alar base reductions can vary for different individuals based upon how much flare of the nostrils and how wide the alar base is.  They are a fairly straight forward procedure.