Umbilical Hernia Repair - What Surgery is my Best Option?

I have ab separation and cannot do sit ups because it makes my stomach protrude. I've had three children in three years. Should I get a plastic surgeon or general surgeon for my umbilical hernia repair?

Tummy tuck or hernia repair

+2

The hernia repair will fix the hernia only. IF you desire treatment of the hernia, loose skin and separated muscles, I would advise a combined surgcial procedure.

Best to get your umbilical hernia repaired through a low scar abdominoplasty.

+2

If your abdominal muscles are separated from pregnancies, it would be best to get your hernia repaired th

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD

Hernia repair with tummy tuck

+1

If that is your photo of your current condition, a mini-abdominoplasty with a "floating" belly button would be recommended.

Your plastic surgeon should be able to address your ab seperation AND the umbilical hernia at the same time if you are willing to accept a belly button that is perhaps an inch lower then where it currently is.  The stalk of your belly button is reattached to your deeper layers creating the "inny" appearance and most surgeons should be able to repair your ab seperation from your pubic bone to your ribcage.

Curtis Wong, MD

Mini tummy tuck: what is that?

+1

traditional abdominoplasty addressed loose skin, fat, and laxity of the abdominal wall. Based on the picture you included, you really only need the latter. This could be performed with a limited access, small incision in the pubic area. With the aid of a lighted scope the wall tightening could be accomplished. Depending on how significant the hernia is, it may be corrected by a plastic surgeon or when large I often have one of my general surgery colleagues fix it. 

Jeffrey Kenkel, MD

Tummy Tuck will BOTH tighten Tummy Muscles and Correct Umbilical Hernia

+1

In my opinion you are an ideal candidate for a Tummy Tuck. You appear in great shape with no excess fat and have a "protruding" stomach and umbilical hernia BOTH of which can be nicely addressed with a Tummy Tuck. A well done Tummy Tuck will bring the 6 pack muscles together, flatten the tummy, repair a ventral or umbilical hernia, narrow the waist, remove all loose tummy skin, lift a sagging Mons pubis and lift ans smooth any anterior upper thigh cellulite.

For best results, see one of my colleagues who is a member of The American Society of Plastic Surgeons.

Abdominal muscle and hernia repair

+1

I would recommend going to see a plastic surgeon since they are generally going to be more attentive to location and length of scars though both specialist can perform the repair. Also, repair of the muscles throughout the total length of the torso can produce some soft tissue bulging that a plastic surgeon would be more likely to prevent.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

A Plastic Surgeon Will Repair the Abdominal Wall Separation and The Umbilical Hernia

+1

If you would like the hernia repaired a general surgeon will probably a good choice however if you would like the muscle separation to be repaired as well then a plastic surgeon may be right for you.  Most plastic surgeons are fully trained general surgeons as well so I might consider seeing a plastic surgeon that is boarded in both general and plastic surgery and see what they think after they examine the area and talk with you  about your specific goals.

Charles Perry, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Your choice

+1

If you only interested in the umbilical hernia repair,then both plastic surgeon and general surgeons can help you( most board certified plastic surgeons had full general surgery training).

If you are  interested in having more drastic result and also repair of the muscle separation, then a board certified plastic surgeon be better.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon