Surgery or Natural Treatment for Swollen Sore Eye? (photo)

For the past 18 months or so one of my eyelids has started to droop, only slightly at first but it is becoming more noticeable. I used to suffer stye's on this eye so it was often infected and swollen, it has now got to the stage where other people are noticing it and its really starting to get me down. Its often sore and twitches and when I'm tired it even more pronounced.I would like to avoid surgery but what are my options? will it just get worse or can i do anything to help relieve it?

Surgery may not be the answer

+1

it's hard for use to field this one without some more info such as your medical visits and treatments thus far.  I'm sure you've done this but:

1.  See more than one ophthalmologist first.  Likely you've been given antibiotic drops, recommended warm compresses, etc.  

2.  Exhaust all medical therapy.

3.  A generally swollen eyelid with some droop/ptosis may not simply be a stye.  Consider blood work for systemic issues and even imaging to see if there is inflammation in the orbit (eye socket) itself.  

4.  See an ophthalmologist again.

Surgery isn't likely to be an option for you here but you really need to opinion of more than one ophthalmologist before proceeding with anything invasive.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swollen droopy sore eye

+1

Your left eyelid is definitely droopy and it should be evaluated by an Oculoplastic surgeon to determine the cause.  Once serious medical conditions have been ruled out, a surgical solution ( Ptosis repair) is the only option which is a pretty straight forward procedure performed under local anesthesia. The soreness and swelling are probably unrelated and may be just due to allergies but the doctor would be able to tell you.

Devinder S. Mangat, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon