Is Surgery my Only Option? (photo)

I had forehead surgery when I was a child and now my right eyebrow is higher than my left. I am tired of having to hide it and worry about it and am wondering if surgery is the only way to fix it?

Surgery

+1

I would try the botox and waxing in combination. They are both temporary and you can work with them to get the best result

Asymmetric eyebrows

+1

A brow lift to adjust asymmetrical eyebrows is a rather invasive procedure that is probably unnecessary.  The procedure involves a long incision in the scalp to adjust the eyebrow position.  The better option would be to adjust the shape of your eyebrows by tweezing and plucking to create the illusion of symmetry.  You can tweeze the upper eyebrows on the high side and the lower eyebrows on the low side to get more symmetry to the eyebrows.

Is Surgery the Only Option for Uneven Eyebrows?

+1

No.  Browlifting can provide great results, but if you are not receptive to that idea yet, the best (and easiest) alternative would be to use Botox or Dysport to intentionally lower the high side, and raise the low side.  The beauty of that is the quick recovery with almost zero risk, and if you don't like the results, they are not permanent.  However, if you DO like the results, they are not permanent!  Another somewhat unorthodox way to correct it is eyebrow waxing- taking slightly more off the bottom of the low side, and more off the top of the higher side.  A somewhat more invasive (but not as invasive as a surgical browlift) would be a brow-pexy.  This entails tunnelling a suture beneath the skin to the lower brow, and suspending it from the tissue higher up in the forehead at the hairline.  This is reversible.

Christopher R. Hove, MD
Paoli Facial Plastic Surgeon

Brow position can be improved

+1

What was the nature of the injury or surgery? Was it on the Right side or left? It appears that your Left brow medially is low. That would best be corrected with Endoscopic Brow lift on the Left side. Would recommend waiting til you are 17 or 18 to correct this, as the face will change slightly as you age. Botox is an option but not permanent. Dr. G.-   Orlando/Lake Mary

Edward J. Gross, MD
Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Eyebrows

+1

The most reliable way to reposition your eyebrow is using a hairline incision. We developed  the irregular hairline incision to lift the brows and maintain or lower the hairline position when necessary. With this technique hair will grow through and in front of the existing hairline so you will have total freedom of hair styling.

Options for providing better symmetry of eyebrows?

+1

The only permanent option is surgical and would involve a browlift procedure. However, a very good temporary option is Botox treatment of the right (unaffected side). This will soften the movement of the right side and cause the brow to sit lower than it currently does. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Brow asymmetry

+1

Asymmetry is the rule in the body- there is never one side that is identical to the other.  Correction of brow height can be performed with both surgical and non-surgical techniques.  Non-surgical techniques to even out the brow height include the following:  1. botox above the higher brow 2. another option is to perform a suture suspension of the lower brow- this is a minimally invasive technique and really isn't a surgery but will require a office procedure 3. Ulthera can be performed to the forehead area of the lower brow -this will non-invasively raise the one brow for approximately two years. 

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD

Is surgery my only option?

+1

Hello, I have reviewed your posted photos and would say that Botox is a good start. Schedule a consultation with a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon. You will be advised properly after an in person examination. Good luck to you.

David Alessi, MD

Different options...

+1

Firstly an examination is needed to really determine why your right brow is slightly higher. Based on your history it is likely scarring from your childhood surgery [what was it exactly???] that pulled it up. Or that just may be an incidental finding. Sometimes, when an eyelid is droopy, the patient subconsciously elevates that eyebrow to see better. An in-person examination can help tease out that issue.

Now, once that is figured out, different options are available depending on which eyebrow seems more pleasing to you, if it is in fact from prior scarring.

If you like the lower, less arched left eyebrow, then your only good option is to try botox to the right side of the forehead to see if you can weaken the muscles that elevate the right brow and allow it to settle. This would need to be repeated every 3-4 months. If there is significant scarring there, there is a possibility that you could release that scarring surgically, but you have to place the incision in a place where it is not very visible. I think the success rate with lowering the right eyebrow may be low however.

If you like the more arched right eyebrow, then the left brow can be elevated. This may be achieve by botox subtly but may not be enough, and it is also temporary. A surgical browlift [a few different options are available] may be your best bet.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Brow asymmetry from birth --treatment.

+1

Brow asymmetry from birth --treatment is best handled by doing a mini Irregular Trichophytic Forehead Lift at the hairline. See an experienced surgeon who knows how to do this.