Will Getting Surgery on my Deviated Septum Straighten my Nose? (photo)

I broke my nose some years back and now it is all messed up. I have a appointment with a ENT soon to get it checked out. But i am just wondering if getting it fixed will straighten out my nose?

Septoplasty to fix deviated septum - do with Rhinoplasty to fully straighten your nasal exterior

+1

From your photograph, it appears there are 2 elements contributing to the crooked appearance of your nose:

1. the cartilage (lower part of the nose) appears to be crooked to the left
  2. the bony portion (closer to the face) appears to be crooked to the right. 

Surgery to straighten the cartilaginous septum, otherwise known as septoplasty, may result in the added benefit of helping to straighten some of the crooked appearance of your nose.

To properly and definitively straighten out your entire nose - rhinoplasty at the same time as your septoplasty surgery or septorhinoplasty is needed.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will septoplasty straighten my nose?

+1

Hello, and sorry to hear about the trauma you experienced. A septoplasty alone will not change the appearance of your nose. If wish to have your nose straightened, a rhinoplasty would also be necessary and osteotomies (fracturing of the nasal bones) would need to be performed. In general, straightening the nose is a very difficult procedure and requires a specialist. It is not possible to get the nose 100% straight, but improvements can be made. I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Deviated Septum Surgery for Crooked Nose

+1

Your nose appears to be crooked to the pint that you need surgery for a deviated septum as well as rhinoplasty for the outside of the nose. Since the septum is anatomical attached to the outside if the nose, correction both the inside (including the septum and inferior turbinates) as well as the external nose (external bones and cartilage) are often required to achieve the desired results. 

Anita Mandal, MD
Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Twisted and broken nose

+1

A deviated septum repair will only improve the airflow thru the nose. A rhinoplasty will address any cosmetic changes on the outside.  Both procedures can be performed together, however the patient has to pay for the cosmetic, while the breathing surgery is billed to the patient's insurance