What Surgery Can Help Me with my Overbite, Lips that Don't Touch, Gummy Smile, and Overcrowded Teeth?

I have a recessed chin that shows mentalis strain when I close my mouth. Also, there is labial incompentence, being that my bottom lip is thick and hangs while my top is short and thin. When I bite down (with my overbite), my lips do not touch; I have to force them to touch. Adding to this, I have crowding in my lower teeth with a high arch palate, showing "dark circles" on the sides of my mouth when I smile. I also seem to show a little too much gum when smiling. I suspect oral breathing is th

Jaw surgery to improve esthetics

+1

Hi,

Based on your description, it sounds like you have a skeletal problem. Could be caused by genetics, habits as a child or currently (such as thumb sucking, mouthbreathing, large tonsils, etc).

Most likely you will need jaw surgey(s) and braces to correct this. You should get at least two opinions from Orthodontist and oral surgeons that have experience doing this.

If your teeth are intact and they are of proper size and shape, then you may not need anything other than braces and surgery.

Jaw surgery is called Orthognathic surgery and depending on your case you may need an upper and or lower surgery to re-set the jaw(s) in the correct position. You can evaluate afterwards to see if any additional treatment is needed to improve the esthetics.

Hope this helps

Dr. T

Miami Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Is surgery the best option for jaw alignement

+1

Surgery seemsto be  the way to go for what you described. You may have to go through orthodontic and cosmetic treatments post surgery.

Good luck

Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Gummy smile, surgery, jaw surgery.

+1

Dear GenaHere:

There are options available to you.  Your description is typical to a vertical maxillary excess and a mandibular deficiency combination situation.  The surgery available to you is usually referred to as maxillary impaction (LeFort) surgery and a mandibular advancement surgery.  Usually performed together in order to get the optimal result. 

The LeFort part of the surgery will remove the excess bone and gum shown and the mandibular advancement will position the lower jaw more forward to compensate for the "lack" of chin.

However, the most important factor in your situation is to find the appropriate team to do the work.

I recommend looking up a Prosthodontist as the team coordinator, since the Prosthodontist is the expert in cosmetic, restorative, and implant dentistry.  Let the Prosthodontist recommend to you the proper Orthodontist, since you will have to go through some orthodontic treatment prior to the surgery and also an Oral surgeon, who will be performing the orthognathic (jaw surgery) part of the treatment.  The proper communication and coordination of the team in critical and will give you the best possible result.

Keep in mind that you will probably need some orthodontic correction after the surgery, as well as possible prosthodontic work such as crowns and/veneers to finalize the treatment.

Dr. Zev Kaufman

New York Cosmetic Dentist