Can Surgery Give Better Results Than Than Restylane

i had restylane injected under the eyes but the results were not what i wanted can surgery give me better results than restylane?

Lower Eyelid Bags--Surgery verses Filler

+1

This is a very common problem.  The fat around the eyeball or globe starts pushing forward toward the eyelid and this is seen as a bag.  Fillers placed just below the fat can camouflage this but it is a camouflage only.  I agree, my best results happen with a lower eyelid lift (blepharoplasty) because we are addressing those fat pads.  Sometime patients also have creapy skin and laser resurfacing is indicated.  Sometimes the boney rim becomes more evident and needs to be cushioned with filler or fat grafting.  Find a surgeon that you trust or come to our center where we specialize in facial procedures.  Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.vargasfaceandskin.com/

Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

I had restylane injected under the eyes but the results were not what i wanted can surgery give me better results than restylane

+1

Restylane is temporary and adds volume, so the lower eyelid surgery would decrease the fat bag volume something that no filler is capable of doing.  I'd need to see photos of your eyes i order to make futher evaluation and comments.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Fat Grafting vs. restylane under eyes

+1

A number of 'soft tissue fillers' are available for temporarily improving facial areas that have lost volume, are naturally thin or hollow, or have developed noticeable and bothersome lines and creases. The most popular fillers currently are hyaluronic acid products like Juvederm® and Restylane®

If you are looking for a longer-lasting result than you are getting with Juvederm® or Restylane®, we have a much better solution for you: you own fat, currently residing somewhere that you don't need it. The improvement is designed to be permanent, and your body will not treat it as a foreign object. Your immune system won't attack it. The cost is about the same as several syringes of a 'semi-permanent' filler. And the quality of your facial skin may, in fact, actually improve in the areas where fat is grafted.

Lower lid hollowness  can likewise be improved. One must exercise care and caution, as lower lid skin and the underlying soft tissues are usually quite thin, and thus the lower lids are less able to conceal grafted fat. Fat grafting must be preformed conservatively here, with a plan for secondary and occasionally tertiary fat grafting procedures depending on the 'take' of the initial fat grafting surgery.

Web reference: http://www.michaellawmd.com

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Injedctable fillers

+1

Your question is unfair. How can we say one is better for you than the other when we do not know what you look like before and after the restylane & don't even know what you wanted the injection to do for you?

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Anatomy, volume, experience

+1

These are the three things that are most important in achieving good results. The fact is that the anatomy of some patients will require surgery for optimum results. If you noticed some improvement with filler, you may just need more volume. Most important is the experience of the injector! You should never have filler done in that area unless the injector has done MANY surgeries in that area!

When your only tool is a hammer, all the world looks like a nail - likewise if you go to an injector than can only do fillers, all the eyes look like they need fillers. 

Raleigh-Durham Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is likely that you have not received top notch Restylane service.

+1

Miguel

The reality is that for many individuals and for many lower eyelid situations, under eye Restylane represents that state of the art for correcting these issues.  Properly done and with the necessary adjustments, this is simply a more flexible and powerful tool than surgery.  Certainly there are individuals and given situations were surgery is better.  Generally, Restylane is now a better choice than surgery.  However, these treatments are challengeing and put an emphasis on injector technique.  It is my opinion, that for most, if the Restylane can't make you better, it is unlike that surgery will be a better choice.  This may not be what you want to hear.  I understand that.  I would encourage you to find a new injector.  Perhaps the treatment you do have would benefit from being adjusted.

Web reference: http://www.lidlift.com

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.