Surgery Friday and Want to Make Sure I Made the Right Choice? Full or Mini TT? (photo)

booked in for a Mini TT & Breast augmentation Friday!!!Feel like I let the Dr. talk me out of the full TT that I initially thought I would have.He thinks I am a better candidate for mini and that I would like the results better.(smaller scar, my own belly button)but after reading a women's stories who ended up booking mini and were not happy with results.I am a 29yo mother of 4.I am 5'9" and 137lbs.suggestions. I need plication due to full diastasis above and below navel

Photos Suggest-- Full TT

Pregnancy can result in dramatic changes in a woman’s body.These changes are especially noticeable in the abdomen where redundant saggy skin, weakened muscles and stretch marks may occur. Your pictures suggest that you might benefit from a full abdominoplasty but without a physical examination by an experienced plastic surgeon, there’s no way to know for sure.
If your excess skin is located below the level of the umbilicus and your muscle weakness is also at this level, you might be a candidate for a mini-abdominoplasty.
Unfortunately, the separation of your muscles and your redundant skin suggest that you may need a full tummy tuck.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Modified Abdominoplasty Candidate?

The key to success in aesthetic surgery is matching the right operation with the right patient.  You do appear to be a candidate for a modified abdomioplasty.  It the umbilicus is detached from the inside then the entire anterior abdominal wall can be repaired.  I try to stay away from partial fascial repairs as it can lead to unusual bulges in the future.  You have a most of your loose skin in the lower abdomen and this can be excised.  It is important to leave about 9 cm from the top of the mons area to the umbilicus to yield a nice aesthetic result.  

3096 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
Duluth, GA 30097

Full or Mini Tummy Tuck

The full and mini tummy tuck operations are really quite different.  A full tummy tuck allows the complete removal of the skin (with stretch marks) from above the butty button to the pubis, removal of subcutaneous fat of the upper abdomen, and tightening of the abdominal muscles.  The skin is pulled down to close and thus is tightened.  The longer scar is low and there is also a scar that surrounds the belly button.  On the other hand, a mini tummy tuck has a shorter scar because it removes less of the skin (and stretch marks), fat can still be suctioned, but muscle usually not tightened (they can in some cases).  Unhappiness may occur because the skin below the belly button might be tight, but the upper skin is not (held by the belly button).  Also, there may be a persistent bulge from the un-tightened muscles.  The choice depends upon your physical findings and your goals.  Your plastic surgeon can give you the best advice after an examination and discussing these limitations with you.  Be sure he/she shows you photos of patients like you so you can see what to expect. 

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

630 W. 34th Street
Austin, TX 78705

Full Tummy Tuck

The amount of skin laxity demonstrated in the photos suggests that you may be a better candidate for a full tummy tuck.  You need to discuss your desires and the pros and cons of each choice with your surgeon. Best wishes.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

6499 E. Broad Street
Columbus, OH 43213

Full or Mini TT? (

I would favor a full TT, but that is based only on photos--not comparable to the advice you would get based on an actual exam. I see some skin laxity above the navel which would otherwise go uncorrected. Because your navel is high, it may be that your surgeon did not want to suggest the possible need for a small vertical incision, since the skin above the navel may not reach down to a low TT scar. But an alternative is lifting the navel up with the abdominal skin, doing a full TT, and lower the navel a small amount.

Expect a nice improvement either way. All the best. 

1110 112th Avenue NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Full or mini tummy tuck

Thanks for your questions and pictures.  Based on what I can see in the pictures, I would likely recommend a full tummy tuck.  You appear to have very lax skin and if your diastasis extends well above the belly button, you will need full muscle plication.  You do have a high belly button and you may end up with a short vertical scar along with the traditional bikini line scar.  Make sure you discuss the plan fully with your surgeon before surgery and make sure you are comfortable with the decisions.  Good luck!

Naveen Setty, MD

175 Ridge Road
McKinney, TX 75070

Mini or fully tummy tuck

Thank you for your question about your tummy tuck.

• Mini-tummy tucks mean different things to different surgeons.
  • To me, a mini-tummy tuck only repairs lower abdominal muscle, 
  • If your surgeon will repair muscle above and below the navel, I call it a modified tummy tuck - full muscle, limited skin removal.
  • Your bending photo suggests quite a bit of loose skin.
  • Discuss the plan with your surgeon again to be sure you agree on what surgery will do for you. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

2045 Peachtree Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30309

Mini tummy tuck or Full Tummy Tuck

Diastasis above the navel is hard to correct with a mini, but i have seen some PS do it. It doesnt matter what the procedure is called as long as it addresses the issues that concern you. I am sure your PS has considered all of them, but to be sure you may wish to have a chat with you PS. All the best

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

101 Grafton Street
Bondi Junction, NSW 2022

Mini vs Full TT

Your photos here will tell the story with your exam. It is hard to second guess your PS as I have not done an exam on you. In my past, I have done limited TT on only a small percent of patients. This is simply a choice that needs to be made. Discuss this with your surgeon.You can go either way. Just make sure you are happy with your decision before you start. All the best

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

3701 S. Clarkson
Englewood, CO 80113