Surgery for Eyelids? (photo)

I'm 20 years with downturned slanted eyes. Is it genetic? Or hereditary because I got it from my dad. My moms eyes are perfect. But anyways It's decreasing my confidence in life and I really want my eyes fixed! I want a trustworthy surgeon who can get it done. Please! & thanks

Downward slanted lower lids

+1

The downward slant of the lower lids is also causing some scleral show, worst on the patient's left side than on the right. Best to have a canthopexy procedure performed which can tighten up the lower lids through a suspension stitch placed in the outside corner of the eye sutured down to the orbital rim. Best to seek out a oculoplastic surgeon well versed in this procedure.

Downward slanted eyelids

+1

Your posted photos corroborate your statement but there are additional issues. The left side is significantly more severe than the right and the confidence issue. I think it is the left but the situation is reversed in the middle photo which I suspect was shot from a mirror. The asymmetry cannot be completely resolved no matter who your surgeon is and the surgical correction may have no effect on your "confidence". If your shy and reserved before surgery you will likely be so afterwards. A canthopexy/plasty will most likely help the situation but you may need additional augmentation of the bone on the more severe side.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Eyelid surgery in 20 year old?

+1

One idea is to relax.  It really doesn't look to b e too much of a problem, and it shouldn't affect your social life and your sense of well being.  On the other hand, bilateral canthoplasties may give you the result you are seeking.  I suggest you seek a well-trained oculoplastic surgeon in your area.  Refer to asoprs.org.  Good luck.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Different eye shapes

+1

We all inherit different eyelid shapes from our parents.  Sometimes one gene wins out and we look just like one or the other parent.  If you are bothered by your eyelid shape, I'd recommend seeing an oculoplastic surgeon in your area who could advise on what your surgical options would be to alter their appearance.  Remember, no surgery is without risks and expectations on how this will change your appearance and self confidence should also be addressed with your doctor. 

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon