Surgery for droopy eye lids. Which procedure is best? (Photo)

I'm 29 years old and I have always had droopy eye lids. What would be the best procedure to fix this ?

Upper Blepharoplasty Plus Brow Lift Would Work Well

+1
Thanks for your question. The problem that you have of droopy eyelids at a young age is a situation I have seen many times before and undoubtedly is inherited. The problem is most noticeable laterally, which we call lateral hooding. The best results would come from a combination of an upper eyelid blepharoplasty and a temporal brow lift, which involves an incision in the temple area behind the hairline so there is no visible scar. An upper lid blepharoplasty will not correct the lateral hooding unless the incision is extended laterally to a point where it is visible. I have had very good success in young patients and most commonly do this procedure in the office. The correction will be long-lasting. Be sure to consult with a surgeon who is experienced in eyelid and brow surgery, and good luck!

Droopy upper lids at 29

+1
  • Your photo suggests you do not have ptosis but excess skin and fat in the upper lids,
  • See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Opthalmoplastic Surgeon.
  • Assuming the examination confirms this, you need an upper lid lift to remove excess skin and fat. 
  • A lateral brow lift may help as well. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Heavy upper eyelids

+1
You should benefit from upper blepharoplasty and possibly brow lift. I don't think you have eyelid ptosis but it is difficult to tell from the photo. See an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Upper blepharoplasty for droopy eyelids

+1
An upper blepharoplasty is required to remove the droopy skin on the upper lids. A combination of skin and fat is removed from the upper lids through an incision in the upper eyelid crease. The procedure is performed as an outpatient surgical procedure under brief general anesthesia. For many examples, please see the link below to our blepharoplasty photo gallery

Best Blepharoplasty for Heavy Upper Eyelids

+1
Hi Blue,

An upper blepharoplasty would remove the excess skin of your upper eyelids.  Choose your surgeon most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Ptosis and dermatochalasis

+1
You have ptosis, but also a large amount of excess heavy skin.  For this reason an external approach to surgery would be recommended so that the skin can be excised at the same time you tighten the muscle to elevate the lid.  See an oculoplastic surgeon to evaluate you more completely.   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty

+1
I would say basic blepharoplasty would be something of benefit to you.  That being said, make sure you get consultations with board-certified facial plastic surgeons or oculoplastic surgeons before proceeding.  Given the amount of fullness and bloating that you have there is some potential for insurance coverage later on in life.  Your healing time would be roughly 10 days and your sutures would likely come out after about 7 days.

Chase Lay, MD
double board-certified facial plastic surgeon

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon