Do I need surgery for deviated septum?

I often have more or less nasal congestion, especially in my left side. In 2009, I went to see an ENT doctor and had CT imaging. I am not sure if I should go for a surgery, and hope you can explain to me how worse my case is and whether a surgery is recommended for me, despite what the doctor said in 2009? What is the failure rate of septoplasty now? Thanks!

Do I need surgery for a deviated septum?

+1

An exam would be necessary to provide you with any advice. There are many causes of nasal congestion such as a deviated septum, polyps, and allergies, and the specific cause of the issue would need to be identified to see if surgery is necessary. I would recommend an opinion from a board certified ENT, as this will help determine the cause of your problem. If a deviated septum is the issue, a septoplasty can help open the airway and improve your breathing. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Surgery for a deviated septum

+1

There are many issues inside the nose that can cause nasal obstruction and a deviated septum is only one of them. Other causes are chronic sinusitis, nasal polyps, turbinate hypertrophy, valve collapse and vestibular stenosis. A CAT scan evaluation and internal examination by an ENT/ facial plastic surgeon and determine the best options for you. Your surgeon can also discuss the risks, alternatives, and relative expectations which usually takes at least half an hour for this type of outpatient surgery. For more information and diagrams, please see the link below