Is It Possible That Surgery for Areola Size Reduction Give You Mild Ezcema?

I really don't understand what's happening. Had the areola of my left breast reduced. Two months post surgery the areola started to have very small openings and after two days will form a crust. Thought it was my body healing. These small openings kept on coming. I went to see my surgeon and he said that I have ezcema on the areola. I never had any ezcema problem before. He gave me an ointmemt: Cicaplast B5 to be applied 2 times for one month. Can my ezcema be linked to my surgery? What to do?

Crust around a periareolar tightening

+2

Periareolar tightening is know for causing stretching or widening of the scars.  Sometimes the sutures that are used to tighten the area can lead to the crusting and inflammation you describe.  If the suture is dissolvable it should resolve over time, but if there is a permanent suture the body may  "spit " it out or your surgeon may want to remove it. Some people react more to sutures than others.

I would recommend you follow your surgeons advice, but if it does not resolve you may want to see a dermatologist to rule out excema or allergy. 

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Areola Reduction Surgery and Eczema?

+2

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you have had after your areola reduction surgery.

There are a variety of different reasons to experience the “small openings and crust” around the incision line after areola reduction. For example, you may have an allergy ( this can be seen with  surgical glue  placed along incision lines).  You may also be having a reaction to sutures used for closure ( for example this may be related to a permanent suture that was used to prevent spreading of the areola).

Making the correct diagnosis of the cause of your problem is very important;  don't hesitate to ask your plastic surgeon what the other causes could be  etc.  This can be done in a polite and calm fashion.

If your issue does not improve with time and present treatment a second opinion ( for example by a dermatologist)  may be helpful.

Best wishes

Areola Reduction and Ezcema

+1

Following areola reduction surgery it is not unusual to have dry/irritated skin around the surgical incision site.  This sometimes can be caused by sutures (either absorbable or premanent) which can be come irritated or infected, or by the normal scar healing process.  Check with your surgeon to see if he/she feels that a suture could be causing the problem (which can be removed).  Otherwise the Ciraplast B5 or other topical moisturizing cream  should resolve the problem.  

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Surgery does not cause eczema

+1

but if you have had it anywhere else on your body, healing wounds can certainly predispose to it developing around them.

If your skin condition doesn't resolve, I would suggest seeing a Dermatologist.  The other conditions mentioned usually occur immediately after your procedure or along the incisions.  When your problem as you describe is on the areola itself, a visit to a Dermatologist may help you find the answer to what it is.

Curtis Wong, MD