Can Any Surgery Fix my Asymmetrical Eyes?

My eyes are very asymmetrical. My right eye is a lot larger than my left and I am very self conscious of this. I feel like it is degrading the quality of my life.

Please see my photo and let me know if there is any type of surgery to make my eyes match. Also, my right cheek is larger than my left so that may be a factor contributing to my eye issue.

Asymmetry of eyes

+2

Your eyes are asymmetric because your right eyeball (globe) is more prominent than the left and your left eye is lower than the right. This has to do with how the eyeball sits in the eye bone.

Differences such as these are normal and do not warrant surgery. I am sorry they cause you so much distress.

In cases where eye asymmetry is significant, camouflage procedures can be done, to adjust position of the lower or upper eyelids, but greater variations would have to be present.

Ptosis surgery is solution

+1

You have ptosis of the left eyelid. A ptosis surgery would lift it higher. There is a standard deviation of the procedure so you have to be willing to take the risk of the eyelid ending up too high or too low and possibly needing a touch up procedure. 

Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Correction of Asymmetrical Physical Features

+1

Perfect symmetry is never a reasonable goal of cosmetic surgery. Look closely at the faces of individuals you consider the 'beautiful people". All have some degree of asymmetry. Responding to your specific question, cheek asymmetry can be improved easier than the differences in your eyes.

Asymmetrical eyes can be improved with surgery

+1

Facial asymmetries are very common in Caucasians and Asians, particularly in the eyelid area. There are many factors that contribute to this including the shape of the eyelids, eyeball, and the shape of the bony orbits. Asymmetrical surgery can be done to improve the symmetry of the eyelids. Many famous people have significant facial structures asymmetries and never have anything done about it.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Eye shape

+1

Yes, everyone has asymmetry. It is very common in the eyes. This can be related to bony volume differences, soft tissue differences, etc. It would be almost impossible to change to make the eyes more symmetric if this is the case. Sure for craniofacial anomalies in which there are severe asymmetries, better symmetry can be achieved, but it would never be perfect.

Asymmetrical eyes

+1

Thanks for the picture. I can appreciate some differences in your eye shape. Periorbital surgery could be helpful depending on the nature of the problem. The problem could range from issues with your brow, the orbital/cheek skeleton, position and function of the upper eyelid just to name a few. Periorbital surgery is sophisticated surgery if done correctly and to deliver consistent results. You should visit several plastic surgeon with expertise in periorbital surgery. I hope this is helpful.

Dr.ES

Bone conditions can contribute to eyelid shapd

+1

In addition to the findings discussed by the other physicians, it is also possible that you may have bony conditions which contribute to the observed appearance. These are not typically corrected unless they are severe.

Surgery may fix asymmetrical eyelids

+1

Unfortunately, it is impossible to know what is happening in regard to your eyes from a flat one dimensional photo. It appears not that one eye is larger (globe) but the fact that you have ptosis (drooping eyelid) on the left side makes your eye on the right appear larger.

This is very common and can be fixed surgically. If the right eye truly is more prominent other disease processes need to be ruled out including thyroid disease. You are best to be evaluated by an Ocular Plastic Surgeon (www.asoprs.org).

I believe that you can be helped but I also think that you need to have realistic expectations. I think you are being very hard on yourself. You may be best served by also speaking with a counselor to work out your self image issues.

Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon

You have left upper eyelid ptosis

+1

Dear Need

I agree with Dr. Moelleken on a couple of accounts. First your right eye is more prominent and your left eye sits lower in the face than the right eye. However, it addition to these issues, the left upper eyelid rest about 1 mm lower on the globe than the right upper eyelid. This contributes to the left eye looking smaller. Ptosis surgery has the potential to improve this.

However, it is not normal for this type of small difference to be socially crippling. When these feeling exist, it suggest the presence of body dysmorphic disorder. Other signs would be abnormal preoccupation with these differences. An example would be spending hours a day obsessing about this problem. It is my expereince that there is no surgical cure for body dysmorphic disorder(BDD). The BDD brain is organized different than normal brains. This makes it very difficult to surgically help individuals with BDD because once one issue is improved, the brain will focus on how the fix was not every thing that was desired and as a result the person feel social incapacitated by embarrassment.

The best place to start is with psychotherapy to better understand why the brain fixates on these issues. Once you have insight regarding the BDD, it is usually easier to address the issues that benefit from surgery.

Web reference: http://www.lidlift.com

Get help from a cosmetologist

+1

Your eyes look perfectly normal. Talk to a make up artist and see if they can help you with some camouflage to make them look more like you want.