Should Hernia Repair and Tummy Tuck be Done Together?

Which surgery should be done first?Naval Hernia repair and Tummy Tuck or done at the same time? I also have an implanted Medtronics Pain Pump that needs removed now!

Hernia Repair and Tummy Tuck?

+1

In my opinion, the best time to repair the umbilical hernia is at the same time that you're having a tummy tuck done. At that time, the hernia is easily  exposed and repaired,  negating the need for further surgery. Care must be taken during the performance umbilical hernia repair to avoid compromise of blood flow to the overlying skin.

It would be in your best interest to have these procedures done concomitantly.

Please make sure you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Hernia repair and tummy tucks are often done together

+1

The final decision as to whether hernia repair and tummy tuck can come together depends on the mutual agreement of the surgeons involved and whether it would compromise the result of either the hernia repair or the tummy tuck. I have done some hernia repairs myself, being a board-certified general surgeon, in addition to a plastic surgeon, and other times I have patients who are referred to me by a general surgeon, who is planning to repair the hernia and asks me to see the patient, because they had requested an interest in possibly doing a tummy tuck at the same time.

Joseph M. Perlman, MD

Hernia repair with tummy tuck.

+1

In general, hernia repain should be performed at the time of abdominoplasty (tummy-tuck), especially for belly button (umbilical) hernias and diastasis rectii, which is separation of the wash-board (rectus) muscles. These areas are well exposed at abdominoplasty. It also makes sense to combine the recovery from the procedures.

Steven Goldman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Repair of umbilical hernia common with tummy tuck

+1

It is very common for a hernia repair to occur at the same time as a tummy tuck.   If you have an umbiical hernia, keep in mind that your plastic surgeon needs to carefully plan your belly button hernia repair.   You may be at slightly increased risk of belly button healing problems as the blood supply of your belly button could get knocked off with your hernia repair.  Foruntately, this problem is extremely rare.  Most plastic surgeons will feel comfortable repairing your belly button hernia.  However, depending on the size/complexity of your hernia, a general surgeon may be consulted.  Hope this helps.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck and Hernia Repair

+1

Performing both procedures is usually simple and of course saves you a separate downtime, recovery, and exposure to anesthesia.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Hernia Repair and Tummy Tuck

+1

In most cases, it is very safe to repair a hernia during a tummy tuck operation.    Depending on the comfort level and training of your plastic surgeon, a general surgeon may be asked to assist with the hernia repair.   The combined procedure will save you a 2nd procedure and recovery, with the same recovery time as a standard tummy tuck.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Umbilical hernia repair and tummy tuck should absolutely be done together!

+1

With all due respect to my colleagues here, any ABPS-certified plastic surgeon has extensive reconstructive surgery experience (even if they are not fully trained in general surgery prior to their plastic surgical fellowship) and have the requisite skill and experience to repair an umbilical hernia at the time of their patient's cosmetic tummy tuck.

Sometimes patients wish to have cost reduction for their cosmetic tummy tuck on the basis of needing (reconstructive, insurance-reimbursable) umbilical hernia repair at the same time. Almost all insurance companies separate out the cosmetic and reconstructive parts of the operation, so any cost savings are almost always lost by the higher costs in the hospital or surgical center (at least as compared to an accredited on-site office surgical facility where I practice, and many board-certified plastic surgeons own and operate).

For my part, I do not want a general surgeon repairing my patient's umbilical hernia too tightly, causing the blood supply to the belly button to be lost, the belly button to die, and then I "get to" pick up the pieces and try to fix the problem! If there is to be a problem, it will be of my own doing, and I will take pains to ensure the least risk possible for hernia recurrence, blood supply interference, or impact to the overall cosmetic result! To do anything less is just not right, in my humble opinion!

So if your cosmetic surgeon is unwilling or claims inability to repair your umbilical hernia, please check and recheck their training, credentials, hospital privileges, and American Board of Plastic Surgery certification.

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Umbilical hernia, tummytuck, New York plastic surgery

+1

tummytuck and hernia repair whether umbilical or ventral can be done together with no problem. We often do these procedures together at our office on out patient basis. However, why would you have a pain pump? If you have other problems those must be told and considered by the surgeon prior to your surgery. If your pain tolerance is low then perhaps a tummytuck is not for you.

Hope this helped

Helen S. Colen, MD

Hernia and Tummy Tuck Done Together

+1

These two procedures are often done together and done by a plastic surgeon specially if the plastic surgeon is also board certified general surgeon.  If not, then the plastic surgeon would need to find a general surgeon that can do the hernia repair and then the plastic surgeon can complete the tummy tuck.

This makes sense to most patients as the recovery is one time and you dont have two separate down time.

Hope this makes sense.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Umbilical hernia repair and abdominoplasty in one proceedure

+1

Both functionaly and estheticly it makes sense to do them as one proceedure.

Most board certified Plastic surgeons will do these with an external approach or work with a general surgeon if need be.

Barry H. Dolich, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon