Surgery Delay Period After a Cold?

I'm 55 and plannimg for a mommy makeover. I have been fighting this cold off and on about 2 weeks now. My surgery date is in 3 days. How long should I wait to be strong enough for this surgery. I feel a little better but don't know if my body is ready yet. Please advice me as to how long is safe to wait till I go under the knife?! Thanks. Melody

Delaying surgery

+1

A visit to your primary care physician may best answer your question.  He or she can examine you to determine if you are deemed healthy enough to proceed with surgery.  You want to ensure that you have no active infection present.  Good luck.

Katy Plastic Surgeon

Delay of surgery after sickness

+1

Generally, waiting at least 2 weeks from when you are fully recovered from your illness would be recommended prior to undergoing any elective surgery.  You should see your primary care physician to make sure there are no other issues.  You want to make sure your lung function is optimal prior to any general anesthesia.

Feeling sick before surgery

+1

I strongly recommend that you see your primary care doctor and have him/her listen to your heart and lungs and make sure you are okay before surgery.  Otherwise, you may make all the arrangements for surgery and have the procedure cancelled by your anesthesiologist.  Worse yet, would be to have the surgery aggravate your illness causing you a problem.  Good luck.

Delaying elective surgery due to sickness

+1

Hello. It would be risky to have an elective surgery while sick in any way. Having any kind of infection prior to surgery greatly increases the risk of a surgical site infection so it is best for you to postpone your surgery for at least two weeks to avoid any unnecessary health issues.

Jaime Perez, MD
Mommy Makeover Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Web reference: http://www.jaimeperezmd.com/photogallery/mommy-makeover-10286

Mommy Make Over with a cold

+1

If you were my patient, I'd re-schedule your surgery. Here's why:

• a mommy make over uses general anesthesia which stresses your lungs.
  • the cold reduces your lung function
  • so you are likely to get atelectasis (poor lung expansion), pneumonia or another breathing complication.
  • the anesthesiologist will probably cancel your surgery - if you don't.
  • In doubt? Ask for a referral to a pulmonologist for a full evaluation.

Hope this helps!

How Long to Wait for Mommy Makeover after Cold?

+1

Anyone not feeling well I reschedule until they are feeling well.  There is no real time period here.  If you are feeling well, you can have your surgery.     

Surgery Delay Period After a Cold?

+1

A month is a reasonable waiting period for you to recover, and to be certain that there are no bacterial complications (pneumonia, sinusitis) especially if implants are part of the makeover.

Best wishes for an uneventful recovery. 

Timing of surgery

+1

You should be in perfect condition before elective surgery. If you have cold, upper respiratory infection(Viral). You should postpone surgery till you are completely healed, 4 weeks. See you family physician for proper advise.