How Much Does Surgery Cost for Hyperhidrosis? (photo)

i am a 16 year old girl who suffers from excessive armpit sweating i sweat to the point were it will soak my shirt all the way down my side and drip down my arms even when i am cold i sweat it is litterally ruining my life. but i fear that my parents wont be able to pay for the teatment or surgery. how much dose treatment or surgery usually cost? and dose insurance pay for it?

Axillary shaving - $5000+; consider miraDry - less invasive and less expensive

+3

Axillary shaving is a procedure where the surgeon goes into the armpit and manually destroys the sweat glands.  This procedure costs ~$5000 plus operating room and anesthesia time.

MiraDry is a noninvasive procedure that is done in the office.  It destroys sweat glands using microwave technology.  Patients typically have a 60% reduction with the first treatment and a >90% reduction after the second treatment.  The cost of miraDry, which includes two treatments, is ~$3000.  miraDry is going to be a game-changer in the field of axillary hyperhidrosis.

Houston Dermatologist

You should consider using Celllulaze for permanent treatment

+2

i am using the Cellulaze laser by Cynosure for off label use. it takes about 30 minutes in the office under local. there are 1-2 three mm incisions per side. it may significantly decreasing or stop almost all the sweating with one treatment. it may last years or could be permanent (we don't know that yet).

i have been very pleased with my results to date.

david berman md

board certified plastic surgeon

Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Precision TX for Hyperhydrosis- Excessive Sweating

+1

The precision treatment is a great laser 30 minute procedure to markedly improve excessive sweating.  It is performed in a minimally invasive procedure with very little or no down time.  It is a long term treatment unlike Botox.

Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon

Miradry in Los Angeles

+1

The Miradry system works well for axillary hyperhidrosis and armpit sweating. The procedure is performed in an outpatient setting. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Web reference: http://surgery90210.com/cosmetic-dermatology/49/hyperhidrosis--sweating.aspx

Treatment for hyperhidrosis

+1

Hi

I would suggest that you try some Botox injection first. Though the effects are not permanent, the cost is much less than surgery with minimal side effects.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Armpit sweating - axillary hyperhidrosis surgery

+1

I usually consider three medical/surgical treatment options once a patient has exhausted efforts to reduce axillary (armpit) hyperhidrosis (sweating).  The most common is the use of Botox or an equivalent neurotoxin (Dysport, Xeomin).  All are effective, but the duration of action will depend on how much you put in.  It can last anywhere from 2-6 months and can cost anywhere from $800 - 1500 / treatment depending the price and amount used.  miraDry is a new device that permanently reduces sweating.  It requires 2-3 treatments and can be as effective as Botox, but once you've completed your treatment series, you are done.  This usually costs $3000-4000 depending on whether you need more than 2 treatment sessions.  Axillary shaving is a techique that I use to surgically remove the sweat glands from the armpits.  Insurance may cover this but it is hit or miss.  Your out of pocket costs are ~5000, and includes the facility fee and anesthesia fee.  This is also a permanent reduction in sweat.  All three options are effective, but in the long run, the Botox option becomes the most expensive as you have to repeat this 2-3 times a year.  My recommendation is start with miraDry and use surgery as your last resort.  Hope this helps and good luck.

Laser Liposuction for Treatment of Hyperhidrosis (excessive armpit sweating)

+1

Through the use of the SlimLipo laser lipolysis platform, you can abolish the sweat glands in the armpit area for a more permanent result (90% success rate). Since the sweat glands reside in the axillary fat cells then the SlimLipo laser platform is an effective ablative treatment. This treatment may be performed under local anesthesia with no down time. The fee for this procedure is usually around $2000. Due to your age, it may be recommended to wait until you are more fully matured, but this has been an extremely beneficial treatment for patients that suffer from excessive underarm sweat. You would have to check with your insurance company but there are many financing options available too.

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Hyperhidrosis can be treated with prescription grade anti-perspirants or Botox

+1

The clinical grade antiperspirants can irritate the skin and need to be used continuously. Botox treatments should last you at least three months and are highly effective. Botox treatments can cost $500-1000 but will provide you with a prolonged period of significantly reduced underarm sweating.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/botox-dysport-xeomin-neuromodulators

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nonsrugical treatment for axillary hyperhidrosis

+1

As Dr. Coleman notes, MiraDry is the newest treatment for axillary hyperhidrosis using microwave energy. There is also literature out on using Ulthera (Ultherapy) for treating axillary hyperhidrosis. Ulthera uses focused ultrasound and can target deeper tissues than MiraDry. The treatment should be permanent since the sweat glands are destroyed. The treatment that has been reported I believe is 100 lines dual plane for each axilla (200 lines first visit) and this is repeated a month later (400 lines total). The cost should be around $3,000.00 similar to MiraDry.

Botox injections are helpful, but only last about 4-6 months. Some insurance companies will cover the cost of this, so you might want to look into it. There are other treatments to consider: Drysol, Drionic device, and oral medications (Pro-Banthine, glycopyrrolate, diltiazem, clonidine) may be helpful.

Surgery involves upper thoracic sympathectomy, and this should not be taken lightly. I have had patients that have had this done and while it does improve axillary hyperhidrosis some patient shift the sweating to other areas, such as the abdomen or flanks.

If you have not had a consult with a dermatologist I would highly recommend you do so. A dermatologist can review all of these treatment options, many of which are covered by insurance. I hope this helps you! Good luck!

MiraDry is the new breakthrough treatment for hyperhidrosis of the underarms.

+1

miraDry is the new breakthrough treatment for hyperhidrosis of the underarms. This approach uses microwave energy to destroy sweat glands under local anesthesia. The cost for two treatments ranges from three to four thousand dollars depending on the location of the doctor.

Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.